I think I'm going to have a heart attack anytime soon...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kidwithdimples, Jul 4, 2008.

1. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

Oh man :(

This must be one of the most depressing days for me. I bought my Macbook back in 2006 I think (it's the first macbook generation) with my own scholarship money.

And now I see there is a dark line on the right side and it's cracked. The piece didn't come out yet but I don't know what to do. I don't even have Applecare and 90 days was over ages ago and I am moving to dorms in the Fall.

(Yes, I also posted on MacNN because I like to get more opinions from everywhere)

I can't live with that cracked line like that :( I love my macbook :(:(!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

id just superglue it back

seriously its not a big deal. cant wait for a reaction to a rock chip or door dings in your $20k+ car lol

3. WellRedd macrumors member

If I were you, I wouldn't be pulling it around like you are in your last picture, you'll only make it worse.

4. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

take it in to your local apple store, warranty or not..often times they will replace it. If you're lucky.

5. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are you serious? WTH?

I thought this was a known problem for all the older Macbooks. It seems like that line is getting lengthier.

And what is the $20k+ car you speak of? I'm not aware.

I guess I have to. I'm going to take it to the 5th Ave Apple Store tomorrow. But how should I explain this situation to them?

I only pulled it once with light force just to take the picture.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea im serious......superglue would fix that easily. i mean you are out of luck since you are past applecare. be glad it doesnt affect the actual performance of the computer

anyrate, you should stop playing with it as it will just make it worse

as far as the car, im referencing the future in which you will most likely get a new car at some point in your life (after you graduate)

7. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jeez.. I'm not playing around with it. I had to take pictures to show you guys and MacNN members.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol i understand.

but honestly, dont get too worked up about it

i guess i would try to talk to apple about it but even then, if you could take care of it yourself it would be a lot nicer than not having a computer for a week or something.

just my 2 cents

9. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Won't Apple replace the entire case for a halfway decent price?

10. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

same thing happened to me - got the top case replaced because I was under Apple Care (free of course)

11. Rita99 macrumors newbie

Reply from Rita onvon

Hey guy,
    What a pity for that situation,but guy,Don't worry about that,if I were you I would like to send it to the professional computor center.maybe they could help you.
    Good luck for you
    Rita

12. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

if you didnt slam your top down so hard..it wouldnt have cracked

13. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you go through this thread, http://forums.macnn.com/69/mac-notebooks/313408/white-macbook-crack-anyone-else/

A lot of (blah) said the same thing but it wasn't because of slamming it down so hard. It was a problem with the case itself for all those first gen Macbooks.

Anyway I'm gonna take it to the Apple Store today.

14. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

OP: Good luck to you. I hope they agree to replace the case for free or for a reasonable cost.

15. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Please don't call people idiots for something as silly as this. It's simple: go to the Apple Store and get it fixed or fix it yourself if you don't have Applecare.

This is probably not the same issue as cracking magsafe cords or yellowing palmrests. This is NOT a random design flaw, either, otherwise more people would be complaining.

We've got two macbooks in our home, with one being a rev A model and one that was recently acquired (wife won it at a school raffle). None of us have this issue and I'm going on my final year of Applecare support.

Either one of two things are happening: 1) people are slamming the lids down (and if not slamming, then certainly applying some force in closing the lid); 2) people are putting the notebook in a bag with many other things such as books, where there is additional pressure on the lid of the notebook.

Stuff like this just doesn't happen at random.

16. martychang macrumors regular

I've only had my November 07' SR Macbook since Christmas and I just had to get my topcase replaced for that EXACT thing. It was free since I'm under warranty, but it was a bit weird. I could've probably used it regardless but it was free, so I can't say I'm regret taking it in.

17. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

just put a white mosi pad over it (i think i spelled their name wrong, but it will keep the macbook cleaner to!)

18. unixfool macrumors 6502a

19. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

20. priller macrumors regular

It is a design flaw, if it was due to abuse apple wouldn't be replacing the topcase even after the warranty has ended.

21. unixfool macrumors 6502a

If it were a design flaw, they would all be accepted by Apple stores...I'm not seeing that yet. I believe its still hit/miss on if Applecare will cover it (it seems to depend on the Genius looking at the issue). Until I actually see something definitive (like something on Apple's site about it), I'm not going to believe that this is a design flaw. IMO, a definition of a flaw affects broadly. Some people have the cracking issue, while others don't...it doesn't appear to be a flaw that's affecting everyone. Also, if you look where the crack is and see where the lip of the screen is in relation to the cracks, you'll see raised areas. They are on the left and right of the top of the lid when the lid is opened. Imagine the stress that they would cause if the lid were slammed again and again over time. Imagine if the lid were closed and additional outside pressure was applied continually. The people who don't use excessive force in closing their macbooks and the people who don't stuff their macbooks in backpacks full of books won't have this issue. People who use the macbook as a desktop replacement probably won't have this issue either. A design flaw would mean that the flaw occurs regardless of extreme care (ie, yellowing topcase, hot battery melting the plastic, battery expanding and cracking the case...).

22. Mackan macrumors 65816

The magnets apply a constant pressure down onto the plastic when the lid is closed, which will cause stress in the plastic material, and eventually it *might* crack because of exhaustion. The pressure is all focused on the very small area of the plastic ridges that meet the top case when the lid is closed.

Since each user uses their MacBook differently it will not happen to everyone. Some users do not even close the lid particulary often. Of course, if you close it harder, or have books pressuring against the MB in a backpack or similiar, it will just further accelerate the exhaustion in the material.

Magnetic latch + plastic is not the best design if you ask me, and I would say it is a design flaw. Your opinions may vary...

23. Matek macrumors 6502a

It happened to me as well and I know at least 3 other people with similar problems. Also, it's not just because of the magnet, I have this problem on the left side (above the DVD burner).

I think it's because a small part of the edge all around is supported by the bottom part of the macbook case, but other parts aren't, which means they can be pressed while you're using the machine and they slowly break.

Like some people said, Apple doesn't recognise this as a direct production mistake/design flaw, since it only happens to some people, mostly after heavier use. I'd say it's simply lack of quality, which is too bad. Before I got my MacBook, I heard great things about its build quality, but currently, I think my next laptop will be a ThinkPad.

24. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Whether it fits your definition of a design flaw or not -- the whole problem is that for many people, using the macbook under normal conditions causes these holes in the case. That seems unacceptable to me.

There were never holes in iBook cases because their design was different. It began with the macbook. It's a macbook design issue.

25. Scathach macrumors newbie

In my honest opinion its a design flaw. I have bought my Macbook, which I bought in 2007, in twice for repair for this cracking on the palm rest area twice and both times the Apple Genius guys have acknowledged the problem and it was fixed. Both guys told me that it has to do with the magnets putting pressure on that area, combined with the pressure of resting your wrists on the palm rest, and constant opening and closing of the top. So under normal use there is a chance that the plastic will crack overtime. After the first time my laptop cracked I stopped traveling with my macbook, it stays on my desk now, and I had purchased a cushy cloth to go in-between the keyboard/palm rest and screen, and I never slam the top down on my keyboard, but I do close it when its not in use. and 4 weeks ago, I got another crack in the same darn place :mad:

I find it interesting that the majority of cracks are typically on the right side, both of my cracks occurred there as well, and my husband has never had this issue on his older ibook, and he is fairly rough with his ibook. So in my own experience and what I have been told by the gentleman working at the apple store I personally feel these particular issues are definitely a design flaw. So long as they keep fixing it while my Macbook is under warranty I am happy, I rarely keep a notebook longer then 4 years anyhoo.