Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
I really miss the ability to download files to the phone. I miss tube are in particular and I miss downloading Ebooks and reading them on the phone.

I love the iPhone but income to realize I don't need that many programs. I'm 39 so I'm a little older and don't care for gaming so it's mostly Facebook and a couple other programs that I use.

The most expensive program I bought is 1password which honestly I don't use much and it's other epigrams that are free that does the same on android.

So I'm thinking to myself why? The build quality is great and I'm on my launch day 5 still but I need to do a bit more with the phone.

I'm thinking if a note 2 but I'm afraid of samsung build quality, can it last a whole 2 years on contract?

Sprint is a hassle at times and they refuse to do stuff for free when it's a obvious issue with the phone. Example htc evo og and the broken charging port that always came loose.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I'm thinking if a note 2 but I'm afraid of samsung build quality, can it last a whole 2 years on contract?
With the Note 3 around the corner, I wouldn't consider a Note 2, unless you're looking to buy a cheaper one on Craigslist, or ebay. Just my 2 cents. :cool:

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Note 2 would be much cheaper and I have a year to go on my 5?

----------

How's the durability? It doesn't seem equal to iPhone looking at the YouTube drop test video.

SA Spyder

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
I went iPhone 5 - > LG Optimus G - > Galaxy S4 - > HTC One - > iPhone 5.

You'll be back. Why? Because iOS apps are way, way better than their Android counterparts. iPhone offers a more reliable, smoother, better-looking solution. While it does not do as much as Android, I prioritize "master of the essentials" over "jack of all trades but kind of slightly failing at each thing."

Downloads were nice but when it comes to what I miss from Android, that's about as far as it goes. I don't miss force closes, I don't miss it feeling sluggish despite it having 1.9GHz Quad Core and 2GB of RAM, I don't miss apps looking and functioning like legacy software, and I certainly don't miss that VM-feel to the entire OS that bottlenecks the experience of it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

You'll be back. Why? Because iOS apps are way, way better than their Android counterparts. iPhone offers a more reliable, smoother, better-looking solution. While it does not do as much as Android, I prioritize "master of the essentials" over "jack of all trades but kind of slightly failing at each thing."

Downloads were nice but when it comes to what I miss from Android, that's about as far as it goes. I don't miss force closes, I don't miss it feeling sluggish despite it having 1.9GHz Quad Core and 2GB of RAM, I don't miss apps looking and functioning like legacy software, and I certainly don't miss that VM-feel to the entire OS that bottlenecks the experience of it.

Yeah - that was you. Some people don't go back. SHOCKING!

I went from Original, to 3G to 4GS to 4 to 5/Samsung Skyrocket to S4. Not going back. Don't miss the iPhone anymore.

SA Spyder

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Yeah - that was you. Some people don't go back. SHOCKING!

I went from Original, to 3G to 4GS to 4 to 5/Samsung Skyrocket to S4. Not going back. Don't miss the iPhone anymore.

From what he described as being important to him, I predict he'll regret it. I didn't say everyone on the planet would think the same way. Nice burst of defensiveness though.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
From what he described as being important to him, I predict he'll regret it. I didn't say everyone on the planet would think the same way. Nice burst of defensiveness though.

No defensive - just find is amusing that based on his concerns you think they match why you would never leave iOS/the iPhone again.

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013

An iPhone with a JB will do pretty much anything an Android phone can, so there is that option too.

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013
Except have a bigger screen or better battery life ;)

Teasing you... I know what you meant.

True about the screen, battery, not so sure. I took my 5s off the charger 3hrs 20mins ago. I have streamed an hour of iTunes radio to my Beats box via bluetooth, browsed the web, texts and played words with friends. 1hr 52min of usage and my battery is still at 93%. With my S4, this kind of usage and I would be at about 70% right now. Very impressed with the 5s battery so far and Ive only charged the phone fully once.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
True about the screen, battery, not so sure. I took my 5s off the charger 3hrs 20mins ago. I have streamed an hour of iTunes radio to my Beats box via bluetooth, browsed the web, texts and played words with friends. 1hr 52min of usage and my battery is still at 93%. With my S4, this kind of usage and I would be at about 70% right now. Very impressed with the 5s battery so far and Ive only charged the phone fully once.

I can't speak to the 5S. Only the 5 (and pre OS7). My Skyrocket was getting about the same battery life - sometimes better - sometimes worse.

The S4 has really impressed me. For example - I've been pretty active since 6am this morning on it (granted - not streaming video but a lot of whatsapp, emails, etc) and it's at 71 percent right now.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
An iPhone with a JB will do pretty much anything an Android phone can, so there is that option too.
Did JBing when it started. Got sick of having to JB after every new update.

Extra few steps just to match things Android can do right out of the box.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
While I will admit that I love the polish if Apple apps and since I used to use android phones I can honestly stay apple apps are miles ahead the thing is that I don't use many apps period.

I can say for business or productivity I use Dropbox, 1password, Evernote and that's basically it so I don't buy or ever use many apps at all.

1password is nice but it's like 50 bucks a year for the windows version and I don't have a MacBook, I can't afford them.

The rest if my apps are social networking based and streaming apps like stitcher radio.

what really gets me about the iPhone is the keyboard, at all add in a cursor line like what swift key uses.

Also the notification area still needs much work.

To be honest I don't want to trade for a android due to resale value, I've had several people offer htc one and gs4s and I held back because I knew I would lose money compared to keeping the iPhone but the core issues are really bugging me.

I think Apple is maker suited for people who plays lots of games and are heavily evolved I'm the apple ecosystem.

Those of us that aren't it is a different story.

I see people firing up Instagram all day, texting and social networking is all they do.

----------

This keyboard..,,, smh

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
While I will admit that I love the polish if Apple apps and since I used to use android phones I can honestly stay apple apps are miles ahead the thing is that I don't use many apps period.

I can say for business or productivity I use Dropbox, 1password, Evernote and that's basically it so I don't buy or ever use many apps at all.

1password is nice but it's like 50 bucks a year for the windows version and I don't have a MacBook, I can't afford them.

The rest if my apps are social networking based and streaming apps like stitcher radio.

what really gets me about the iPhone is the keyboard, at all add in a cursor line like what swift key uses.

Also the notification area still needs much work.

To be honest I don't want to trade for a android due to resale value, I've had several people offer htc one and gs4s and I held back because I knew I would lose money compared to keeping the iPhone but the core issues are really bugging me.

I think Apple is maker suited for people who plays lots of games and are heavily evolved I'm the apple ecosystem.

Those of us that aren't it is a different story.

I see people firing up Instagram all day, texting and social networking is all they do.

----------

This keyboard..,,, smh

The keyboard experience (and thus, the overall phone experience for anyone who emails, texts, tweets and generally types a lot) is superior on Android. By leaps and bounds.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
No defensive - just find is amusing that based on his concerns you think they match why you would never leave iOS/the iPhone again.

I love when people who no longer use iPhones are still reading iPhone forums.

I'm just sayin'.

NuggetSauce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2012
Go for it. It's a win win situation. Either you end up liking your new phone more and are happy with the purchase. Or you end up missing things about iPhone and iOS and go back with a new found appreciation.

Bottom line is everyone should experience both platforms and sample what they both have to offer.

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013
Did JBing when it started. Got sick of having to JB after every new update.

Extra few steps just to match things Android can do right out of the box.

I dont see the problem, CM used to update every other day it seemed. Sure, Android can do more out of the box, but its also bogged down by awful bloatware, manufacturer skin like TW or Sense that you have to root and rom to get rid of and you are at the mercy of your carrier for any updates if you stay stock. Android out of the box isnt very good at all IMO.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
I dont see the problem, CM used to update every other day it seemed. Sure, Android can do more out of the box, but its also bogged down by awful bloatware, manufacturer skin like TW or Sense that you have to root and rom to get rid of and you are at the mercy of your carrier for any updates if you stay stock. Android out of the box isnt very good at all IMO.

No real need to root to delete bloat, just disable.

A launcher and a few tweaks in settings has the phone running smoothly as well as quickly (no unnecessary animations etc.).

If you grab a phone like a Samsung, FW and third party support are solid (it's one of two reasons I chose it over the HTC).

To each is own.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
I decided one the htc one. Gonna pick one up and test it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.