I think im having a kernal panic!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gadgetgirl85, Jun 25, 2007.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I just got a new harddrive put in my MBP and I just started putting everything back on etc, and then the new updates wanted me to reboot so I did and now it wont let me log back in and all this stuff about a kernal is flashing plus that I need to reset my computer. I did that but its not booting in!

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

jeez calm down. what exactly is happening? what do you see? up to which point can you boot to?

a kernel panic is usually where your display greys out and shows you a box telling you to restart in 4 languages. Once in a while it'll just be a bunch of random text.

3. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

What your describing is exactly what is on my screen!

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

when do you kernel panic though? you said you can boot but can you login? do you reach the login screen? could you perhaps boot into single user mode?

5. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Starts loading OSX and panics. I was told to reinstall OSX so I guess thats what ill do :(

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

well at what point does it start loading it?

reinstalling is probably the best idea though.

7. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Could it have panicked because I was installing multiple apps at once plus all the mac updates?

8. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

You might want to check to see that your RAM is seated properly. If it got jarred out of alignment when you were installing the drive, this is the sort of thing you might expect to see. (You'll also see this behaviour if the RAM's gone bad.)

9. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I think the problem was while I was installing my apple updates I was installing a bunch of programs that didnt get to finish when I had to reboot