I think I'm infected - browser automatically re-routing

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by satkin2, Oct 23, 2011.

1. satkin2 macrumors regular

Hi,

In the past couple of days my browser has started re-routing automatically when clicking some links. It's loads the page and then almost instantly then loads to another page, for example going to compareaway.co.uk. This is clearly not supposed to happen as its from pages like the BBC.

I suspect that I've got some form of virus. I've run Sophos Anti-Virus and it's not found any thing so I'm really confused as to what's happening. I'm also more concerned that it's something more serious as it's also happening on my iPhone when on my home wireless.

I had a similar issue when I ran a windows system and it was a virus, but with Sophos not finding anything and my iPhone being affected too I really don't know what's going on.

Has anyone had a similar experience, or have any idea how to fix it? Is it possible for a router to be infected?

I'm running OS X 10.7.2 and iOS 5.0.

Many thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need any 3rd party antivirus software to protect Mac OS X from malware. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    Read the section "Why am I being redirected to other sites?" in the link above.

If you insist on running 3rd party antivirus software:
    • ClamXav is a good choice, since it isn't a resource hog, detects both Mac and Windows malware and doesn't run with elevated privileges. You can run scans when you choose, rather than leaving it running all the time, slowing your system.
    • Sophos should be avoided, as it could actually increase your Mac's vulnerability, as described here and here... and here.
    • iAntiVirus has an inaccurate malware definitions list that includes many items that aren't even malware, so their detection accuracy is untrustworthy. This post will give details.

3. satkin2 thread starter macrumors regular

GGJstudios,

Thanks for your very quick response. I didn't think that there were any Mac viruses, that's why I was so confused. Thanks very much for the guide you linked through to. I've changed my DNS settings and things appear to be ok now. I'll remove Sophos too as I wasn't aware of the issues having it installed raises.

Thank you very much for your help.

Steve