I think I'm regretting getting a MBP.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by htownrockets, Jul 10, 2008.

1. htownrockets macrumors member

Every time I try to connect to my router it doesn't seem to work..

But on my brother's Windows Computer, it works perfectly .

What's the problem?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Please, describe the problem in more detail and perhaps we can help. :)

Are you getting an error message? Can you see the network? Wired or wireless? What model router do you have? etc. etc.

3. htownrockets thread starter macrumors member

It's a belkin router.
    Wireless.
    And as of right now it doesn't show up. And the fact that my neighbor's router works with my bro's computer and not mine is puzzling.

4. bov macrumors 6502

you should NEVER EVER regret buying a MAC!!!! ok that was a bit rash...

but sorry, dont have an answer to you problem :(

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If you go to System Preferences > Network, what does it say for Airport? What color is the dot?

6. htownrockets thread starter macrumors member

7. KelchM macrumors regular

You must have SSID broadcast on the router off.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Your MacBook Pro comes with 90 days of telephone support

Call and they'll walk you through it.

Reason it works on your brother's is because he set it up on that computer, and thus might not be set up for any other computer, Mac or PC.

9. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Is the router seeing it - by which I mean is the router detecting the connection of the MacBook Pro MAC on the router. Wonder if a lease renewal on the router might help here?

10. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

You're probably going to have to log onto the router to change some settings around. Go onto your brother's computer, type in 192.168.0.1. (or whatever the Belkin's router IP address is) and dig around.

Not to be harsh, but you just spent around $2k on a laptop. You should be able to figure out how to get your computer to connect to your router. It will connect perfectly fine with Apple routers, and I use a CompUSA 802.1g router I've had for years and never had an issue.

FWIW, the only time I couldn't connect to a router was when I used to set OSX 10.4 (Jaguar) to a set IP address. Had to set it to auto everything to get it to connect.

11. Hates macrumors regular

I had to upgrade the firmware on my gf's Belkin router to get it to work with her new MBP, even though it already worked with her pretty old iMac and my PC.

12. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I was just going to suggest checking the firmware on the router as I was reading this thread, and someone beat me to it there...

Anyways, I seriously doubt there's any problems with your Macbook Pro wireless connection. It's gotta be router settings.

I've used my powerbook with every imaginable router brand from a real crappy Siemens and WesTel DSL Modem/Router combos, to high end enterprise class stuff that my friend deals with for his job, there's never been a problem...except if you count that i had a defective Airport Extreme card when I first got my Powerbook...DOH! but not to worry Apple overnighted me a replacement and I've not ever had a problem again.

13. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

I've seen someone walk into the apple store, ask what the best machine is, ask "what a computer does?" and "How does it work?" spend 6K, and leave.
    People amaze me sometimes.:rolleyes:

14. htownrockets thread starter macrumors member

I mean it works, it's just the fact that it only connects to 1 connection, when I have 2 routers in the house..

15. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Which doesn't make sense, so we tried to troubleshoot it and you've clearly done none of the things suggested.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Are you trying to connect to both routers at the same time?

To the OP, as a follow on to this statement, we can only help you based upon what you tell us.

17. htownrockets thread starter macrumors member

I did everything. Changed some settings and everything else just to see if any works..

And I'm not trying to connect to both, but to the one that is stronger, in this case the one that isn't connecting.