I think i'm screwed. Safari problem.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dravenrocks, Mar 15, 2009.

1. dravenrocks macrumors newbie

Hey guys.

I'm in desperate need of help. Earlier today i was checking my Hotmail using the new Safari Beta version. The upshot being,i couldn't. Couldnt open,sort or delete my email's. I decided in my infintie wisdom to uninstall the Beta version and re install the older version of Safari so i could check my email's. I dragged Safari into trash,and proceeded to try an install the older Safari. My Mac now wont let me. It says i still have the newer version of Safari on my HD.

I cant click links,i cant open URL's. It either says Safari cannot be accessed or it opens a text document containing the URL. The only access i have to the net is Messenger and downloading...basically anything that dont use a browser. I never backed anything up using Time Machine,nor can i put my hands on the OS discs. Basically i've made an error,and i really dont know how to correct it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Guys.

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Hi, i'd drag the old version back out of the trash if possible. Then on the .dmg that safari 4 came with should be an uninstall app. If you don't have the .dmg, just re download safari 4 and use that uninstall.

Hope this is helpful.

3. dravenrocks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I think i'm totally screwed as soon as old Safari would not re install,my first instance was to empty the trash can. Now there is no sign of Safari 4 anywhere on my HD and Safari 3 will not install. Is this going to cost me?

4. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Hmm... did you try using the uninstaller package within the .dmg file? It might work, even without the actual safari application itself. I have a feeling that it might write to the system, so you wouldn't be able to see anything related to safari 4.

If that doesn't work, try going to Libary>application support and see if it has left behind anything.

Good luck!

5. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

For future reference, use something like AppZapper next time. (it costs money, but it works well)

You drag an app into it, and it will delete the app, and it's files. That may prevent problems like Safari 4 beta still being recognized on the system.

Follow the advice above, see if anything is left behind, there usually is. When I do it I type in the application name in spotlight and delete any files that belong to it. That can be risky, though. Only delete if you're completely sure it's for safari and not shared/used for other things.

6. dravenrocks thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry to be a pain,but could you walk me through this. As you can tell from the problem i'm having,i'm an absolute novice!

7. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Go to your Home folder, click "Library"

and find a folder called "Safari". Delete it, and empty the trash, then try to install old safari once again.

8. dravenrocks thread starter macrumors newbie

I've done that earlier and it made no difference. Still got the Safari cannot be installed on this drive as there is a newer version already on there! Arggghhh!

9. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

As a final resort, you could download firefox onto a usb key and use that as your default browser, but first give this a try if you haven't already - its the dmg file you first install safari 4 from, although your icon will look different to mine probably:

Attached Files:

10. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

You can download FireFox and then download Safari 3 from this link.

David

11. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Downloading Safari 3 is not his issue. He cannot install safari 3 because safari 4 beta is still recognized as being on the system despite it being deleted along with it's library preference files.

12. OneBlueFire macrumors member

OneBlueFire

*Sigh*

Do you still have the Safari 4 installer? If not, then download it from Apple.

The installer comes with an uninstaller to completely wipe out Safari 4.0.

After completing uninstall, click the following link to download Safari 3:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/#internet

=)

13. dravenrocks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help guys. I ended up using a windows P.C to put Opera on a disc. Installed that then re installed Safari 4.0. Thus bringing up the uninstall icon. Now i'm back to Safari 3.0 and my Hotmail is fine. All my Bookmarks are gone though! Any ideas on how to get them back? I have them stored on my Nokia N96,dont know if i can transfer them back?

14. surfer99 macrumors 6502

What can I do if I have the exact same issue but when I unistalled safari beta and reinstalled safari 3 I am still getting an unresponsive safari? Any advice?