Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cusco

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
like many 3Gs owners, accidently went on itune and it updated to 3.1.2. now it shows:

Version: 3.1.2
Carrier: Carrier 5.0
Modem Firmware: 05.11.07

before when i was on 3.0, i JB and unlocked, but since i did it in windows, it didn't work out for me and i couldn't revert back. so one of my friend used his apple and fix it. but when i got it back today, my Tmo sim still didn't work. apparently, it got updated to 3.1.

the good thing is that Cydia shows: 3.1 ECID SHSH on file; whereas before when i was on 3.0, it wasn't hashed.

so.. guess i'm screwed now and have to wait till Dev team come up with an unlock that would work for the 3.1 eh?

sigh.. what a day~

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Yes, sadly you are. You can downgrade to 3.1 or whatnot but it won't matter because your baseband was updated when you installed 3.1.2. So your going to have to wait until 1) DevTeam unlocks 3.1.2/3.1 or 2) Someone makes a baseband downgrader.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
let me get this straight, you accidentally upgraded to 3.1.2?

by that you mean you accidentally plugged you phone in, saw the dialog notifying you of the upgrade, hit install, waited for the firmware to download and then install?

Å

åidån

let me get this straight, you accidentally upgraded to 3.1.2?

by that you mean you accidentally plugged you phone in, saw the dialog notifying you of the upgrade, hit install, waited for the firmware to download and then install?

No, that was the friend.

cusco

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
thanks guys.. now i guess i have a itouch :(

i hope the dev team will come up with something soon. i can't blame my friend, as he was just trying to help out.

one of the thing i was thinking was, like most phones you can get an unlock code after 3 months of service.

but with apple, it seems the more you update with itune, the more they try to screw you over and keep you from JB and unlock.

afterall, the phone has already been purchased and if endusers wants it unlocked to use on other network, they should be able to do so, right? afterall, it's our phone and we already paid for it 100% outright. but by they locking us down, it's that violating something here? like shouldn't they give us the unlock code so we can use with other networks as we like, since after all... we already paid full price for it?

NSK123

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2008

i hope the dev team will come up with something soon. i can't blame my friend, as he was just trying to help out.

one of the thing i was thinking was, like most phones you can get an unlock code after 3 months of service.

but with apple, it seems the more you update with itune, the more they try to screw you over and keep you from JB and unlock.

afterall, the phone has already been purchased and if endusers wants it unlocked to use on other network, they should be able to do so, right? afterall, it's our phone and we already paid for it 100% outright. but by they locking us down, it's that violating something here? like shouldn't they give us the unlock code so we can use with other networks as we like, since after all... we already paid full price for it?

Don't expect anything soon. It has already been months and we haven't heard a peep about a decent unlock. If you're done with your contract and it's fully paid then you should be able to have your phone unlocked by the carrier it's locked to.. If not then you gotta wait.

Live and learn.. Next time don't give your phone to a retard who doesn't know what he's doing with your expensive phone.

You could also just sell it and buy a new carrier unlocked phone.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009

full price ? are u not on a contract?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.