I think it's a mistake to make an annual iOS/iPhone release schedule, especially now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emir, Oct 2, 2014.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

So iOS 8 is out and before you know it we will be at the new years, anticipating the launch of Apple watch hopefully with Apple pay well underway. However that will leave us around 6 months till the unveiling of iOS 9. I think that is a giant mistake considering iOS 8 isn't completely out and about yet and has lots of things to do before it can be considered out and complete. Some features still are not here such as Apple Pay that will probably roll out with 8.1 and SMS continuity and god knows what with 8.2 and 8.3

I mean, the major release is officially out yet not complete and expecting another major release unveiling, iOS 9 just in June for WWDC isn't good I think. Some things really need time to develop. Making engineers and designers fit into a schedule yearly will make them rush and fail at things resulting bugs or making them pass adding some good features that would be viable with enough time devoted. Unless they have two teams working on two different iOS versions (much like a double clutch automatic gearbox) which is very unlikely since they build on top of one another and they just couldn't if there were two teams unaware of each others' work constantly.

What do you guys think?

2. antiprotest, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014

antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I think it's a mistake to make an annual iOS/iPhone release schedule, especia...

I think an annual release, both hardware and software, is already way too slow.

They just need to do better. More time does not guarantee this. There is something going on there other than the lack of time that has been causing all these problems.

For example, they've had years to ensure their preorder servers and iOS update servers can handle the load. They still have not done this one simple thing.

I think there might be problems with attitude, priority, policy, and competence.

"56 hours remaining..."

3. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Thats strange, John Gruber published the same thought yesterday.

4. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Apple has to maintain upgrade schedule to be competitive vs multi model upgrades by Samsung and other manufacturers every several months.

5. bambooshots macrumors 65816

No

They have to update as they have competitors that upgrade at least yearly, if not more often.

But I get where you're coming from, as Apple was willing to "delay" building larger smartphones for 2-3 years so they could "get it right."

6. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

Successful software/hardware companies are always working on the next iteration.