I think its called Swipe - for fast texting

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fatlardo, Mar 20, 2011.

1. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

2. fatlardo thread starter macrumors 6502

fatlardo

Darn! Thanks!

3. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I actually type a lot slower with swipe texting. Two thumbs is much faster than sliding my finger around :)

4. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

5. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

I had Swype on my DROID and it's a solid program, but I prefer the iOS keyboard. On Android it's not just an app that add's sliding capabilities, but it also replaces the default keyboard. I don't care for the Swype keyboard, and prefer the iOS one.

You're not missing much.

6. anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

I guess everyone just loves to rag on anything android had first here (if iOS had Swype first everyone would love it).

I'm one of the people who would love to have Swype as an option on my iPhone. I can type just as fast with one thumb with Swype as two thumbs on the standard keyboard. And I'm way faster in portrait mode as you don't have to be as accurate.

7. zenio macrumors 6502

I agree completely. I have been using Swype for months on two of my Androids.

It's the best input method ever created for a touch screen. It's really easy if you're willing to spend 4 minutes of your time watching the video tutorial.

I liked it a lot, then found & watched the video and wow!

Swype designed a great version for the iPhone, but couldn't get it past Steve Jobs. He felt threatened it's that good.

If my iPhone 4 had Swype & a 4.0" screen it would be my primary smartphone. But since it doesn't it's just another one of my phones.

I have a gorgeous 4.3" display and Swype on my HTC Inspire and it's simply fantastic. Super fast & fun.

Too bad for Apple. Jobs ego ruins some great opportunities for them and cheats all Apple customers.

8. 1wildcat1 macrumors member

9. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

10. MauiGideon macrumors regular

11. 1wildcat1 macrumors member

12. jfulcher macrumors regular

How much did you use it? It takes a bit to get used to. I can type faster one handed with Swype than I can two handed on the iphone. For the record I have an IP4 & a DroidX.

We are missing a lot IMHO. It's just an option. I agree it's not the best keyboard to use as a regular keyboard, but if you swype all the time with it (which I do) it's great.

Yeah it's not that great at all - especially compared to Swype.

13. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Have you thought that maybe people just don't like it? I tried swype when I had an Android phone and couldn't get on with it at all and I'm sure I'm not the only one. There isn't always an ulterior motive for not liking something ;)
    Also, AFAIK swype was first released on Windows Mobile, not Android...

14. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Agreed. I'm sick of not being able to have a negative opinion about a competitor's feature without being labeled as a "fanboy". Some of us just genuinely don't like it. There are a lot of things about iOS I don't like and the same goes for Android. I always give new features a fair shake and give my opinion honestly. Swype to me ended up being far less effective than regular typing. I used it for months and I couldn't wait to get back to an iPhone keyboard. Just my opinion.

15. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

After having owned a Samsung Captivate for a few weeks, I would gladly pay for an integrated Swype-style keyboard integration. I have fat thumbs and the stock iPhone keyboard is very difficult for me to work with.

It's irritable enough that I'm considering a switch to an Android-based device just to get the Swype option back. The non-integrated apps require too many extra steps to use, similar to dictation apps (of which I keep one solely for composing long emails when necessary).

16. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

It does make sense for there to be a statistically higher proportion of people here that genuinely don't like the feature (and we can generalize this beyond Swype). After all, if you liked the Android features more than you liked the iPhone features, well, you probably wouldn't be hanging around a Mac/iPhone forum.

There is, of course, always that line between the people like yourself who have genuinely tried the alternatives and decided for themselves that they don't like it, versus the people who convince themselves they won't like something simply because it's not from their favourite brand. Those are the true fanboys. And you get those people from everywhere: they hate on Macs because it's not Windows, they hate on Fords because they're not Chevy, they hate on Android because it's not iPhone, etc.

Personally I think Swype looks really cool, and to the uninitiated it really does look like magic to see someone text with it. I wish it was an option on my iPad.

17. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

What exactly would it hurt if there was an option to enable/disable Swype on iOS. Seems like you guys truly don't want choice at all.

18. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

For those that are saying they don't want it...just curious..ever try it? Or is it just because Android has it?

19. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Yes, Shapewriter

Do we have an actual keyboard extension w/ SWYPE (like the international keyboards) for the iOS has a whole?
    No.

20. Dizle macrumors 6502

If someone made a nice Swype keyboard for ios I would be willing to pay for it and I'm sure many others would too. I've never used swype but would give it a good run if I had the chance on my iphone!

21. swoosh0217 macrumors 6502a

swoosh0217

I own a Nexus S and an iPhone 4. I would love to have Swype on my iPhone 4. I know theres a stand alone app called shapewriter but it would be nice if that can be made as a default keyboard. Too bad Apple would not allow this.

22. lavrishevo, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011

lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

23. swoosh0217 macrumors 6502a

swoosh0217

24. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga