I think it's obvious Apple is not going to release a Lightning to USB-C cable

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PDFierro, Apr 12, 2015.

1. PDFierro macrumors 68040

They want you to use the already-released USB-C to USB adapter, which is a shame. At least Android users are covered with Belkin's microUSB to USB-C cable.

2. newellj macrumors 601

Am I missing something or is that just plain strange?

I wondered out loud a couple of weeks ago about voltage incompatibility with the rMB power adapter but according to the specs in the manual it's compatible with 5.2v at 12.5w, so that doesn't seem like the reason.

I'm baffled and would love some guesses on t his.

3. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

How about the iPhone 6S/7 and iPad Air 3 with USB-C instead of Lightning ? Though it seems that the USB-C port is a tad too big for that.

Why wouldn't they release a USB-C to Lightning port ? I don't see any evidence that they won't - or any evidence that they will either. It's pure speculation. But it would make sense.

4. dyt1983, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

5. newellj macrumors 601

Moving the iDevices to USB C is probably inevitable but doesn't help everyone with a Lightning connector (you knew that!) ;)

I agree that there's no evidence that Apple won't release a USB C -> Lightning cable, but there are already several USB C accessories in the Apple accessory listing and you would have thought that might have been #3 priority, immediately following the power adapter and power cable?

Alternatively, maybe they think (or know) that most people only use the cables for charging and won't be annoyed by carrying the little charging adapter for the iPhone. In my family of four, I am the only person who every syncs or backs up their devices on a wire. :eek:

6. palmwangja macrumors regular

palmwangja

7. xPad macrumors regular

I don't. This seems inevitable, in fact. I'd expect them by the fall, coinciding with the launch of new iOS devices, at the latest.

The only way I see this not happening is if Apple switches from Lightning to USB-C for iOS devices.

8. artivideo.nl macrumors 6502

artivideo.nl

I asked this already a few times in other threads (so I feel stupid) but nobody seems to be able to explain me what does "lightning cable" mean ?? It is just a cable with a connector or what ?

9. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

it's a charging cable. What the iPhone, iPad, etc use.

10. newellj macrumors 601

Well, charging and sync, for those of us who sync our iPads and iPhones on a wire rather than by wifi. ;)

11. mikeray macrumors regular

12. Mattymoocow macrumors member

Mattymoocow

they should have designed the power adaptor with built in AV hub inc Thunderbolt & ethernet port.

then run USB-c to USB-c from power adaptor/hub to rMB.

That would have been awesome!

13. SHNXX macrumors 68000

14. melb00m macrumors regular

15. sdugoten macrumors regular

I wonder where do you see this?

16. melb00m macrumors regular

17. sdugoten macrumors regular