Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lightguy531

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
Okay so.. I think i'm ready to make the switch to Mac but the journey hasn't been easy...

I've wanted a Mac for quite some time but never been able to afford it.

I've recently turned 21 and am heading into my senior year of college as a communication major focusing on broadcasting and production. I am program director of my school's radio station, I produce 2 TV shows, I have 3 radio shows I do, and I'm going to have intense projects.

I'm going to buy the 13 inch MBP ... Basic from the Apple Store, and order the additional software I need (FCE, Office) on Amazon as they are cheaper on there and I'll install myself.

Here's where the problem comes in...

As we know they're bit expensive.... After I get everything I need, including Mighty Mouse... It'll come out to about $1700...

I do have money put away for me in a trust fund type thing, which my grandfather set up for me to use for my schooling and living. The only problem is, my Dad protects it like crazy, even though I live with my Mom (parents are divorced) and she's the custodial on the account.

What I need some help with is, what can I tell my Dad to say this is a stable investment, and I'm being responsible by prepping for my future and how I'm making the right choice by doing this without his permission.

I know this really isn't your area of expertise, but any help is appreciated.

Thanks all.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
you can get by with a cheaper mouse

as far as the computer, its a tool. your school and job seems to justify it

as such, get the one that works best for your work. if its osx then great. if not, id look into a windows machine for cheaper

plus, youre 21. you should be able to buy what you want without being too concerned what your parents say on the matter....assuming it is your money of course

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
What I need some help with is, what can I tell my Dad to say this is a stable investment, and I'm being responsible by prepping for my future and how I'm making the right choice by doing this without his permission.

A computer is not truly an investment... it is a (rapidly) depreciating tool

It may be a good choice for you and it can aide you to accomplish your goals
But you need to consider exactly what you need it for... if just iTunes, web, email, etc... then there are far cheaper solutions

Get the right tool for the job ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

lightguy531

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
A computer is not truly an investment... it is a (rapidly) depreciating tool

It may be a good choice for you and it can aide you to accomplish your goals
But you need to consider exactly what you need it for... if just iTunes, web, email, etc... then there are far cheaper solutions

Get the right tool for the job ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Oh it would really be for audio editing for my radio shows

and video/photo editing for my TV shows.

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008

Only buy what you can afford, and i wouldn't dip into that. Investing 101, money now is always better than money tomorrow. You don't need it since its not life or death, so relax, take a deep breath and hold off

lightguy531

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
My real question is though, what do I tell him so he doesn't get po'ed at me.

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Depends. Some education trusts are made so that if they don't get used for education, they go to the next generation or to charity. Not an open invitation for cash.

even better, think about how much it will be worth if they have kids. Without knowing the details of the trust, a penny saved is a penny earned.

lightguy531

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
Let me put it this way....

If I was to use this fund for the computer,

First off, buying a computer for educational purposes is tax deductable.

Second, it's not like I'll be flat out broke. There will be a lot left over.

lightguy531

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
And at least I'd be doing something responsible with it, by buying this macbook which will help me not only with my intense projects and my activities, but will also help me after graduation with my job. And not blowing the money away by spending it on alcohol and drugs, or useless clothes or such.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
even better, think about how much it will be worth if they have kids. Without knowing the details of the trust, a penny saved is a penny earned.

or goes to charity? or get's lost in another Madoff problem. I mean I agree saving is good, but it seems given the OP's reluctance to spend money and given the trust's purpose, it would seem that this should be easy.

lightguy531

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
or goes to charity? or get's lost in another Madoff problem. I mean I agree saving is good, but it seems given the OP's reluctance to spend money and given the trust's purpose, it would seem that this should be easy.

The money stays available after I graduate in May.

But the way you just said it makes perfect sense. I've been responsible with it. I haven't blown it away. And the fact I'm reluctant has made me really think this through and do my research on whether or not I should do this.

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
The money stays available after I graduate in May.

But the way you just said it makes perfect sense. I've been responsible with it. I haven't blown it away. And the fact I'm reluctant has made me really think this through and do my research on whether or not I should do this.

sounds like you already made up your mind. I have always struggled with things like this two and in the end, bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Your 21, young and starting a new job, if the money doesn't go away, save it until you really need it

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
You can't justify it. There is no logical reason whatsoever that means you need a Mac more than any other computer. They all do the same things, just differently. If you buy a Mac you pay a huge premium for the same hardware.

In my opinion the time when the software side of a Mac was superior is truly over. For someone like yourself you'll know that Avid and Premiere are available for Windows and can accomplish everything which Final Cut Pro/Express can. I'm sure your University isn't backwards enough to suggest that everyone uses FC. In terms of Windows vs OS X, the pair are pretty much equal now, and there certainly isn't anything wildly better about OS X which makes it worthy of the huge premium you pay for the hardware.

One last point: do not buy a Mighty Mouse. It is without a doubt the worst mouse I have EVER used and it is the worst product Apple currently sells. Your Mac will work with any mouse which connects with USB or Bluetooth, choose something from Logitech or Microsoft instead.

bajee

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009
Just remember the difference between wanting and needing. If you do know the difference, I'm sure you'll have your answer right there :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As finance is clearly an issue, I'd suggest that you think about a MBP refurb, they are the same as new and come with all of Apple's warranties but there is usually a considerable price reduction.

Agree with neiltc13 re the Mighty Mouse, you don't need it, any mouse will work. Agree with bajee about the difference between wanting and needing; if you need the computer, get it, if you merely want it, I suggest you wait until you can afford it.

Yes, of course education is an investment in your future, as are the tools which permit this path to be taken, but if the fund cannot be breached, then the options seem to boil down to getting a loan or getting a job to pay for the computer.

Cheers and good luck

lightguy531

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
Hey all,

thanks for the advice.

Talked to my Dad, and he's not opposed to it. So we're gonna figure something out.

Thanks! Can't wait for my first Mac!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.