I think I've reached JB critical mass

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bmwhd, Nov 2, 2011.

1. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

iPhone 4, 4.3.3.

I've noticed that a full reboot now takes a at least 7 min. and includes the following steps every single time:

1) Boots up through animated boot logo then pauses for a while without the spinning thing in the center

2) Reboots spontaneously and this time after the animated boot logo, it does go to the spinning thing for about 2 min.

3) Finally comes up in 'Safe Mode' for springboard

4) Following a manual re-spring, it comes up fine.

Somewhere along the line of adding what now adds up to 123 packages/tweaks, I guess I've just about hit the limit :)

Question - Anyone aware of known conflicts that might cause this boot sequence?

2. max5427 macrumors newbie

you've got too many packages, think about deleting any that you dont want?

3. bmwhd thread starter macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Well, while I have 119 packages myself, my phone isn't exhibiting near the drag yours is. It's a little slower than I'd prefer ever since I added iBlacklist to the pile, but it's nothing like you're describing. Just did a reboot and it was back to my themed lockscreen in well under two minutes.

Just a couple of suggestions:

I'd say, look first for any packages that duplicate or overlap functionality--I had at one point two lockscreen delay tweaks, for example. I picked the one that suited my needs slightly better, and gave up a little function in return that wasn't quite is critical. NoAccessorySplash was great, but I had PopupBlocker too and it does the same thing plus a whole lot more. You get the idea. And of course, if you're not *really* using it, toss it. I took Iconoclasm off my phone (still use on my iPad) because I just never actually liked what it did to the icon layout in folders. Same thing with Clean Status, I just never really used it enough to justify keeping it. Got rid of about 20 fonts for BytaFont as well.

If you're theming, move excess themes you're not currently using out of Winterboard. You can probably get away with storing them in a documents file somewhere on the phone, or upload them someplace like Dropbox for a quick download using iFile. Combine theme items where possible (many of us use a "master" theme for status bar images or other small theme tweaks that we don't change constantly. Delete excess theme files you never ever use--h1, for example, downloads SEVEN different theme files. One is for SnowCover, another for WeatherIcon, a third for LiveClock, none of which I use. Delete!

If you've deleted packages, try iFile's search function and search your phone on the tweak name. I guarantee those packages left files behind. On one tweak alone, I found six files that had been left after deletion through Cydia (plists and a few others). Were they affecting anything? Who knows, but there's no sense in leaving them there.

As far as the booting in Safe Mode thing though, you may NEED to start deleting things or at least turning them off where possible for testing to find the culprits in that mess.

5. cdrwinston macrumors regular

My phone also has considerable lag, but it's been since they started updating packages to run on ios5. I probably shouldn't have updated something but I did. I am running 4.3.2. I am actually considering updating to ios5 and running the tethered jb. It's late here,so I will probably do it tomorrow. But I may try deleting some things to see if it improves my performance first....decisions decisions...

6. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I'm not touching iOS 5 yet. Too many bugs in the firmware, and too many packages that aren't updated yet--or were half assed updates I'm seeing complaints about. If performance goes down, I'll definitely be rolling back updates before I'll consider moving up the firmware ladder.

Hoping 5.0.1 brings some fixes, and is followed by an untethered JB...

7. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

123, that's insane man! At my peak I had maybe 30-35. On my tethered iOS 5 JB, I only have IntelliScreenX, My3G, biteSMS, and Activator.

8. TC25, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

TC25 macrumors 68020

100% incorrect.

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

tether iOS 5 works fine for me and there is not many packages i use that havnt been updated

10. bmwhd thread starter macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

I'm going to start backing some out to see if I can find the conflict that's causing the double boot problem.

The thing is, I really like the way the phone is set up now. I've gotten so dependent on little tweaks like the drag-down-to-stop-Safari-reload or the dozens of Activator configs I have to do things like turn on the LED flash or bring up different apps that I can barely use my wife's 4S running stock 5.0

I'm guessing the problems is with too many theme tweaks. It seems to have gotten worse when I started doing custom folder icons on top of infinifolder but I'm not sure that's it yet. Not to mention I've got 5 different DB themes loaded that I switch between all the time (a sickness I know).

I'll report back if I determine the source of the slowdown.

Thanks all.

11. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

For bmwhd--Activator tweaks are one thing that I swear causes more lag on *my* phone; the more of them I add, the more I notice it. Could be the combo of packages I'm using, or something else entirely, so it may not be the same for you or others. But I've minimized those down to a small handful.

I get really liking the phone the way you have it now; there's a lot on mine I'm not willing to give up either. Hopefully you can find the problem without having to remove too much.

Thanks for the input; I'm really glad iOS5 has worked well for you and others. It hasn't been the case for those I know personally who've upgraded, who've spent hours getting their stock devices restored, sometimes more than once. Even though issues like that are the minority, they're definitely out there, and it's still more than I have the time or patience to put up with when my own devices work just fine on 4.2.1 & 4.3.3.

As for tethered: The semi-tether option actually intrigues me more than iOS 5 does, because it seems like an ideal solution to the tethered JB problem. Like the OP, I run a phone (and an iPad) with many packages, so the occasional spontaneous reboot or freeze requiring a hard reset *DOES* happen, sometimes out of the house and when I'm away from a computer for hours. The iPad did it to me just two days ago, in fact. The semi tether takes away that concern. Still, untethered is best.

Unfortunately, some of the biggest packages I use multiple times daily really either haven't been updated for iOS5 (Music Controls Pro is one, it's in process) or people here and elsewhere are reporting problems. Hell, for that matter, I have APPS that I use regularly that haven't been updated yet--stuff that's even higher pri in my world than my JB is. I'm checking daily, I'm monitoring the various dev's Twitter feeds, and when the kinks work out, I'm sure I'll upgrade. But to do so right now would mean giving up a chunk of the functionality of my phone for a handful of features I don't care about, and potential problems like the ones I'm already having to help friends on iOS5 work through. It just doesn't make much sense in my particular case.