I think I've set up FCP7 on 2 ACD's!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by scouser75, Oct 5, 2009.

1. scouser75 macrumors 6502a

Hmmmmmm! I don't know if I've done things correctly but I seem to have FCP7 running on both monitors.

I'm running a 8 Core Mac Pro, with 2 GT120 cards and 2 24" Apple Cinema Displays.

This is what I've done:

I've loaded up FCP7. I have the Browser, Viewer and Timeline in the left hand monitor.

I've dragged the Canvas to the right hand monitor and the View/Video Plackback I've set it to Digital Cinema Desktop Preview - Full Screen.

I now am able to make all my changes in the left hand monitor and can see a full screen preview in the right hand monitor.

The only downers are that the 100% actually loses parts of the picture!!! Is there anyway to let me see the actual screen size? I also have a massive gap where the Canvas once was!! I can make the Viewer or Browser bigger but this just seems like a cheat!!!

Is what I've done the correct way of doing things? Or is it just a work around/cheating?

2. zoomungus macrumors member

I keep all my bins on one side and timeline, browser on the other, its whatever works for you :)

3. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. tri3limited macrumors 6502

It's not fully accurate monitoring just to let you know... Plus there is a much much much easier way of doing this.

Firstly, for a standard dual screen setup go to Window, then 'Arrange' and select 'Dual Screen - Editing'

If you're after non-accurate monitoring a better solution to the one you've got is 'View' then 'Video Playback' and then 'Digital Cinema Desktop Preview' after which go to 'View,' 'External Video Playback,' 'All Frames.'

If you're after accurate monitoring you should probably look to invest in a CRT, something like a JVC TM1750CG (cheap option), as well as an output option such as a AJA Kona card, Matrox MXO/2/LE or Blackmagic Design DeckLink/HDLink.

EDIT: Just read that you've done the old Cinema Display method, Change 'Window,' 'Arrange' to 'Standard' and that way you'll have everything as normal on the main screen and your second screen will have a full screen preview.

5. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks mate. My brain is mush right now as I'm all flu'd up. I'll give your method a try tomorrow. My only concern is that I've been told that FCP does not run properly over to monitors using 2 GT120's. Don't know how accurate this is though

6. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tri3limited,

I've just tried every method you suggested and not one of them works properly.

I've tried "mirroring" the monitors in Prefs. I've un-mirrored them. But there's no way of getting an accurate Preview in the 2nd monitor.

Guys, if anyone can make any last minute suggestions please do so. If nothing works by close of play today (UK time) then I'll have to disconnect my 2nd monitor and 2nd graphics card and return to Apple tomorrow :(

Thanks guys

7. Fomaphone macrumors regular

well, i guess it's too late now, but i would hope that you checked your window menu after following the steps listed above to make sure that your canvas was indeed activated and also not pushed behind something else.

also, when in doubt (especially with fcp 7 on the new MP and snow leopard, i've noticed) duplicate and trash your prefs. it's solved a number of issues for me related to window layouts, including the program refusing to play back all frames despite displaying a check next to the all frames option in view>external video, consistent crashes on the 2nd launch of FCP after moving my windows to my right monitor and using my left ACD monitor for preview (using a FCP 6 window layout file), and an issue of 1920x1080 (23.98) footage playing back at full size (larger than the monitor).

btw, this is why FCP comes with a tech support number... so you don't have to return brand new hardware (... selling hardware is the reason they sell FCP in the first place!)

8. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

The op is trying to run fcp with two graphic cards,wich is a no-no ,afaik.

And if I recollect right,there was a question by the op in the macpro forums,where he was given abundant information about the topic,yet he still keeps asking the same question over and over.