I think John Dvorak hates the iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by syclonefx, Jun 26, 2008.

1. syclonefx macrumors regular

syclonefx

I found this clip of John Dvorak hating on the iPhone. This was a little over a year ago he said the apple should abandon the iPhone. I wonder if he still feels this way about the iPhone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjTWXxIDP5A

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    He is almost as bad as Shaw Wu (I think that was his name) :rolleyes:

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Dvorak is just a "Granky Geek". He likes to complain about everything. He switched to a Mac at work, so who knows, maybe he will switch to an iPhone too. LOL.

I don't think you are thinking about Shawn Wu. He is an Analyst who covers Apple, and is always very Pro/Optimistic on Apple. He would be more likely to say something like they will sell 50,000,000 iPhones this year...

4. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    He's a "Cranky Geek":eek: whaddaya expect:rolleyes:;):apple::apple:

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Someone asked all smartphone makers not named RIM how they think the iPhone is doing. :)

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I'm curious as to why people seem to still value his opinion:

:p

7. animenick65 macrumors 6502

He gives a no fluff, no BS opinion on things and sometimes that makes all the difference.

8. slapppy macrumors 65816

Why take a guy seriously. Remember this is the guy that said the Macintosh Mouse when it first came out was, well, stupid and no one would use it.

9. elbirth macrumors 65816

Simply put, Dvorak is a blooming idiot. He has admitted on camera before that he makes a lot of controversial remarks about various things just to get a rise out of people and to get traffic to his site.

He provides no real value to the tech community at all, and anyone who watches Cranky Geeks or anything else to do with him and think they're getting an unbiased opinion is only fooling themselves.

10. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

I think Dvorak just says these thing to get the fanboy's panties in a bunch.
    If you watch his show cranky geeks post iphone release he actually really likes the iphone. And he says a lot of really good things about it. Really I used to hate the guy but after watching some of his shows, i kinda get him...he complains about all the same things I'd complain about in any tech field. I think that crankyness is just his style, he really isn't that bad.

11. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

You are right on the money here - that's just the way he is. i listen to him on TWIT all the time and even read his Marketwatch columns some time.

He's the 9th most popular person on Twitter, so I obviously has his share of fans!

I think he just takes a little time to get used to. At first glance he is just a JERK. After a while he kind of grows on you, and does have a wealth of tech experience...

Can't believe he switched to a Mac though... LOL

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I've been reading his stuff since the mid-1980s and I've never gotten used to him. In fact he's nearly the embodiment of everything bad about about state of tech journalism.

13. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha IJ Reilly,

I guess he's doing something right - after all, you've been reading his stuff for the past 20 years :eek:

HawaiiMacAddict

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Any more, only when it comes up in a discussion on these boards. I used to read him regularly when he was a columnist for MacUser magazine, back in the '80s. He was at least moderately amusing and tolerable then.

15. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

This guy is a serious tool.

He actually has fans?!?!? :confused:

16. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

17. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

He is just a typical sensationalistic journalist. Always going against
    the grain to stir up controversy and get attention.

18. Moose408 macrumors newbie

I like Dvorak. Yes he say controversial things and goes against the grain but he's right more often than he's wrong. It's just the wrong ones are way wrong. :)

He also freely admits when he is wrong. He was saying for months that he didn't get the whole Twitter thing, then later admitted he had been wrong and that he could see value in it.

19. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I agree - it just takes a while to warm up to him...

20. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Good weathervane. Just assume that he is dead wrong all the time and you have a pretty good read on the real situation.

See also "Film Critics". Only time I ever agreed with a review one of these turkey's published was for Battlefield Earth. Now there was a real turkey. A bunch of us went to see it because we expected it to be bad. We were not disappointed.

21. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

I guess that about wraps it up for Twitter then... :D

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

There's a fine line between generating debate by expounding controversial ideas, and dropping your trousers in public just to draw attention.

Come to think of it, it's not such a fine line at all!

23. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

True. You have to know how to walk the fine line without crossing it. Once you cross it, you lose all credibility.