Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 1, 2003
So I switched my friend to an iMac about a month ago. His dad liked it so much that he decided to order a Mac today too.

My friend was ordering it to get the edu discount, and he had a question whether or not he could connect to the internet after he gets it because the Dell PC in their living room is the "host" computer. I explained that since it's wireless you don't need really a host of anything and your iMac will connect right away.

He called Apple to make sure, and the guy said he NEEDS an AirPort Express. Comon! That would be having 2 of what he needs. Sometimes I wonder about these reps.

revisionA

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
The best way to set up wireless is direct from the networking port on the dsl modem ... going through the pc is unnecessary.

And I second your idea.

$

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
For the question, if the mac can't connect it would be pretty simple to connect the DSL modem to the mac and set up wireless internet sharing.

As for becoming tech support, no way. I can only imagine some of the idiotic questions people ask.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
adk said:
I can only imagine some of the idiotic questions people ask.

No need to imagine, you can have either hardware or software. There are some pretty basic questions in there. :D

Nevertheless, becoming an Official Apple Support Forum™ would be a pain. It'd hold us accountable for what we write. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.