Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ijohnbro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
I understand this is the Mac site it's all about Apple and all of that. We have categories ranging from the iPhone all the way to the Macbook Pro on herre. That is fine. I don't understand why some threads get closed down by thread starters because they bring up topics like " Nexus Prime will crush the current iPhone " or how they think the Galaxy S2 is superior.

What does that have to do with anything? So what they think it's better than the iPhone that's a violation??? The iPhone is still part of the topic or their would be no point in making a thread in the first place right?

I like a handful of smartphones currently out including the iPhone, I have owned a 3GS and loved it. I think the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S are great products and they have their own unique quality to them that make them different than the rest. I also like the iPhone better than 90% of the Androids on the market. I think the very best Androids have alot to offer over the iPhone (just my opinion)

You figure Apple get it's processors from Samsung, I heard they get memory chips from Toshiba. How is it distasteful to possibly think another company might make a product that is worth comparing to the iPhone? If you don't totally worship the iPhone or think another is as good or better that is trolling? or a violation on the forums?

The iPhone haters out their, let em hate the iPhone all they want and maybe not all of them really hate it, they just have a good argument to why they think product A or product B could be better. It's not like they are making threads that aren't iPhone related. I don't think having an opinion is a violation of any kind, I only think it's a violation if you are strictly here to "pimp" your non iPhone product without comparing the two or having a purpose that's non Apple, Mac, iPhone related to the product you in fact talk about.

Maybe a little criticism is good, it helps to make better products, competition is good it helps to make better products.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I understand this is the Mac site it's all about Apple and all of that. We have categories ranging from the iPhone all the way to the Macbook Pro on herre. That is fine. I don't understand why some threads get closed down by thread starters because they bring up topics like " Nexus Prime will crush the current iPhone " or how they think the Galaxy S2 is superior.

What does that have to do with anything? So what they think it's better than the iPhone that's a violation??? The iPhone is still part of the topic or their would be no point in making a thread in the first place right?

I like a handful of smartphones currently out including the iPhone, I have owned a 3GS and loved it. I think the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S are great products and they have their own unique quality to them that make them different than the rest. I also like the iPhone better than 90% of the Androids on the market. I think the very best Androids have alot to offer over the iPhone (just my opinion)

You figure Apple get it's processors from Samsung, I heard they get memory chips from Toshiba. How is it distasteful to possibly think another company might make a product that is worth comparing to the iPhone? If you don't totally worship the iPhone or think another is as good or better that is trolling? or a violation on the forums?

The iPhone haters out their, let em hate the iPhone all they want and maybe not all of them really hate it, they just have a good argument to why they think product A or product B could be better. It's not like they are making threads that aren't iPhone related. I don't think having an opinion is a violation of any kind, I only think it's a violation if you are strictly here to "pimp" your non iPhone product without comparing the two or having a purpose that's non Apple, Mac, iPhone related to the product you in fact talk about.

Maybe a little criticism is good, it helps to make better products, competition is good it helps to make better products.

The problem is that there are many fans on both sides, so instead of it becoming an actuall discussion about those phones in comparison to the iPhone, it becomes a play school argument fest and people calling each other names, so they just delete those from the get go. It's shame really, cause each platform has its own merits and worth discussing.

ijohnbro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
The problem is that there are many fans on both sides, so instead of it becoming an actuall discussion about those phones in comparison to the iPhone, it becomes a play school argument fest and people calling each other names, so they just delete those from the get go. It's shame really, cause each platform has its own merits and worth discussing.

You will always have people who will argue. Hell look at politics and debates. Sometimes arguing is a necessary evil.

yoda254

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
Texas
I think that there need to be a "Other device" subsection for those guys like me that actually like this forum but also like to talk tech or compare devices from other manufactors.This would cut out alot of "ios vs android/wp7 etc" in the dedicated iphone/ipad section where some might not like to see the discussion. If there were a OTHER DEVICE section people would go into the section knowing there is going to be discusion of other devices.You would see less flame post imo.

For example, supraforums is dedicated to the toyota supra but also has a other car subsection for discusion of a wide variety of cars.

Supraforums
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/forum.php

Supraforums general chat "other cars" section
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?60-Other-Cars

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
I don't understand why some threads get closed down by thread starters because they bring up topics like " Nexus Prime will crush the current iPhone " or how they think the Galaxy S2 is superior.

Some threads like these get closed because they are only meant to troll :apple:

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
You will always have people who will argue. Hell look at politics and debates. Sometimes arguing is a necessary evil.

Yes, arguing is fine when there is some merit or point backin the argument, but these fanboys just name call with no actuall point to there argument other than "iPhone rulez and android droolz".

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

yoda254 said:
I think that there need to be a "Other device" subsection for those guys like me that actually like this forum but also like to talk tech or compare devices from other manufactors.This would cut out alot of "ios vs android/wp7 etc" in the dedicated iphone/ipad section where some might not like to see the discussion. If there were a OTHER DEVICE section people would go into the section knowing there is going to be discusion of other devices.You would see less flame post imo.

For example, supraforums is dedicated to the toyota supra but also has a other car subsection for discusion of a wide variety of cars.

Supraforums
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/forum.php

Supraforums general chat "other cars" section
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?60-Other-Cars

I dont think a subsection should be made. It's called Mac rumors not Mac and android rumors and a subsection wouldnt help.

Some people would still post in the iPhone section.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Fernandez21 said:

Yes, arguing is fine when there is some merit or point backin the argument, but these fanboys just name call with no actuall point to there argument other than "iPhone rulez and android droolz".

But people shouldnt have to argue it's a board for MAC users not android fans.

It's like going to a republican only website and posting a entitled I love Obama.

ShionoyaTamaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
Most closed threads are done for good reasons. It is fine to debate constructively, but when it gets out of line, repetitive with circular arguments, or troll fest it becomes just noise to the sub-forum. This keeps the forum fresh and relevant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.