I think my 24" iMac graphics are seriously messed up. Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iKwick7, Aug 1, 2008.

1. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

So I'm guessing I have to take another trip to the Apple Store. Here's the dealio-

I have a launch 24" iMac with 2.5 gigs of ram. In March of this year I brought her in for repairs - a broken disc drive and some serious light leakage along the entire top of the screen. Cost just under $1400 to repair (GASP!!) but everything was covered by my credit card's warranty (thank goodness!). Should have just asked if I could get a new one.

Anywho - they fixed her up and everything was fine.

Lately, however, she has started giving me some serious problems, and I think it's got to do with the graphics card. Here's just some of the things that happen:

-Frequent program crashes
    -Frequent system crashes/freezes
    -One program will crash but not the others, but everything will freze up but still keep playing (ie itunes still plays music but I can't do anything)
    -Lose control of my mouse
    -Can move my mouse but can't click on anything
    -Spaces/Exposes freezes and doesn't return to a single screen
    -Some SERIOUS graphics artifacts, such as:
    -Line streaks
    -Ghosting
    -Drag a window and it looks like it copie the window a hundred times, i.e. the graphics don't update the fact that I moved a window
    -Graphic weirdness all over the place

I can't even play games at all anymore, which, along with the fact that I am getting graphic anomalies and artifacts, leads me to believe it's something to do with the graphics card. This never happened before I brought it in for that first repair though.

I reinstalled Leopard 3 times. The first time I did an archive install by accident, so I redid it with a complete, fresh install. Imediately, without even installing any programs, I still was getting some graphics anomalies. So I reinstalled again and it was ok for a week or so.

Now it's just gone to hell again. Ugghh. Can it be anything besides the graphics card? I have heard of some 24" iMac issues with Leopard, but I wasn't having any issues right off the bat with Leopard.

And yes, I have everything up to date.

Attached Files:

2. iKwick7 thread starter macrumors 65816

iKwick7

And some more images

Blerg.

Attached Files:

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Looks like it's hardware. Time for you to contact Apple Care

4. iKwick7 thread starter macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Sent out the iMac about 2 weeks ago and they replaced the video card. Everything is working great again now!

Funny thing is, when I get her home and turned her on, there was a cd in the drive.

"What's on that cd?" I thought. So I took a look. Seems the apple chaps left a diagnostics cd in the drive - so now I have a sweet cd containing a bunch of apple diagnostics how to pdf's. Sweet!

5. blackjackburger macrumors newbie

Hi I have the same issues with my (white) 24" iMac.

Can you tell me:

was this one of the new aluminium frame iMacs?

was it still under warranty?

or was it chargeable - if so how much if you dont mind?

Cheers BJB