I think my Apple Remote is bad?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SteelBlueTJ, Sep 6, 2014.

1. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

I have had my Apple TV 2 for a few years now since launch. Recently the aluminum remote stopped working. I replaced the battery and it still doesn't work. I tried unpairing it and repairing it to no avail. I noticed it would sometimes work once in awhile when it wanted to and now it is not working at all. I had to really press the buttons hard and multiple times to get it to respond. I picked up a replacement remote and it works great like it should. Anyone else have this issue? Would you call it a bad remote?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

point the remote at any camera (on your phone or computer for example) you should see it flash when you hit a button.
    it works well if you hold the front of the remote right up against the lens, you'll see bright flashing on the screen.

it may just be bad, you could try to get it replaced, but seeing as it's several years old, you may get told no. If it's an easy trip, or you're already going to be near the apple store, give it a try.

---
    paring on the apple remote is more to do with the receiver than the remote.
    all remotes have a number 0 to 127, when you hit a button it actually sends "play 54" or "pause 54"
    Pairing tells the receiver to only act on commands with a specific number.

an unpaired aTV will respond to any remote, Even if that remote is paired with another aTV.