I think my charger is dead....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by a-m-k, Jul 24, 2014.

1. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

In short, I tried two separate outlets, one was a powerstrip. (My house is surge protected anyway, the power strip is for added protection.). I can't charge my MBP at all. I downloaded coconut battery to see what it said. It said that the power adapter wasn't found. I was sort of expecting that since the indicator light wasn't on at all indicating a dead/charging battery or a full charge. What do you all think? THANK YOU!

2. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I can't take my battery out myself. Though, I might try the SMC reset. Thank you.

3. theineffablebob macrumors regular

Is your wire stripped? Macbook chargers are very weak. You can repair them yourself if you have a soldering gun and you buy a replacement wire on eBay.

4. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

5. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

SMC reset did not work. However, I am still able to reply because I have my iPhone and charger with me.

6. princealyy macrumors regular

The hardware may be simply malfunctioning may need to replace.

Depending on age of unit and AppleCare I would recommend replacement.

7. jg321 macrumors 6502

First things first - try another power adaptor with your laptop/your power adaptor with another laptop. If you don't have a friend with such a combination then go to your nearest Apple store. Failing that, another store that sells Apple gear may be able to help.

I was going to suggest changing the fuse in the plug, but remembered that's pretty unique to us Brits!

8. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I was planning on doing that when I know a certain person I know who has a MBP was home.

9. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Can you use something to locate a broken or even a loose wire in an electrical cord. Maybe it's a loose or broken wire. I doubt you could locate a stripped wire. Is that remotely possible? (I haven't been able to test with a different charger.)

10. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I got to check out what would be wrong with my MBP today. Thankfully, my suspicions we're right. The charger is dead. I've ordered one and it will arrive in a few days. I am not exactly sure how it happened though. Thanks again for the advice.