I think my computer has been hacked! changes were made without me making them, help!.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cheesytums, Mar 1, 2010.

1. cheesytums macrumors newbie

When I opened up my computer yesterday all of the top buttons have been changed (volume keys, brightness, spaces....) and every item that I select is read back to me by my computer. I don't think that my mac has grown a brain over night or anything but I don't know how it happened and I don't know to fix it.....
    Help!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Check your system preferences - Speech and Universal Access

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Def this.

Def not being "hacked."

4. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Gotta love the instant conclusion of former PC users that if something is strange on their Mac that they have been hacked, or have a virus. :p

5. Estes4234 macrumors newbie

Another hacking

I think my computer was hacked too - I was on YouTube and as a video was loading, there was this message that said something about a Virus in my PC, even though I don't have a PC - then there were some downloads - like really fast - and when I was trying to cancel them, it wouldn't allow it.

I tried to go into my Security settings and change the Firewall options, but it won't allow me to change those options. "Allow all incoming connections" is selected, and I cannot change that selection. It is all in grey. I can't even click on the "advanced" tab because it is in grey as well, and am not able to select it.

It definitely seems like a hack to me - does anyone have any ideas / helpful hints for me?

Thanks...

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's a bogus warning and your computer was not hacked. There are no viruses in the wild that run on current Mac OS X. Just delete any files that were downloaded.
    Notice the padlock icon in the lower left corner, and the words "Click the lock to make changes."?

7. Rescueme macrumors newbie

I have been remotely hacked!

I have been remotely hacked. Someone punches into my macs with wifi off, bluetooth off, firewall on, sharing off. As I turn the computer on the apple lights up. He comes in thru the adhoc/WINs/Netbios or likes to have it on because I have been attempting to disable it and he kills it. It's been very frustrating as we've had no internet now for 3 months. I've also tried to disable the mdnresponse (Bonjour) but he kills that in terminal also. I've tried setting up my computer in different places but this person has been following me around and hacking me. I believe he has some high tech device where he punches himself in the WINs. Can't do anything. He's also punched into my pc after I've done a full restore and makes me unable to turn off the computer to computer network in network adapter. Hope someone can turn this person off!!!!

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you haven't.
    That's not possible, as there's no way for anyone, including a hacker, to gain access to your computer, unless you don't notice them typing on your keyboard and sitting in your chair.

You have NOT been hacked.

9. DryEyez macrumors 6502

This gave me a giggle before work.. :D