Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Just got this while installing an Office update on OSX10.4.2 :D Add up the top two lines, and see what's wrong :D

Attachments

• activity monitor.jpg
    activity monitor.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 187

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Wow! You are using about 150% of your clock!! I'd repair permission. You may want to call apple and see if they say anything about it. Hope it's not some hardware problem.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm assuming you've got a single processor machine. That kind of an activity monitor report is perfectly normal for a dual CPU Mac. Total CPU use adds up to 200% (assuming both CPUs are maxed), and individual processes can use more than a 100%, meaning they're using more capacity than just one CPU provides.

Anyway, it's probably some kind of math bug in activity monitor. I'd just try restarting.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
I'm on a single-processor 15" 1.5GHz G4 Powerbook, on OSX10.4.2.

I repaired permissions last week, and that's the first time I've ever seen anything like that. I'm pretty sure it was just a one-off glitch with Activity Monitor and MS Update installer. Current CPU usage is about 15% now :D

The AutoUpdater took forever to check for updates, and the MS Crash Reporter always seems to crash when Word crashes :D So, I'm pretty sure it was a fault with the MS Software.

It was writing to the HD at that point, at about 30Mb/sec.

I posted that more as a humourous thing, rather than a "help!!!!!!!!!!" thing :)

Apple

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i had another weird glitch where my battery monitor or something was off and it said I had 218:30 until 0% when I really only had like 2:00

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Apple said:
i had another weird glitch where my battery monitor or something was off and it said I had 218:30 until 0% when I really only had like 2:00

I often get that for about 5 seconds after waking up from sleep with the power adapter disconnected.. Although I never have more than 150 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.