I think my external harddrive hates me!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by meganlackey, Jan 23, 2010.

1. meganlackey macrumors newbie

So I got a new computer and I am trying to move my music from my old itunes to my new one. I followed some online instructions on how to put my music on an external harddrive. After many unsuccessful attempts, I believe that I got my music downloaded to the harddrive. However, when I try to open the itunes folder in the itunes on my new computer it give me this error message:

"An Itunes library file cold not be found in the folder "Itunes music" please choose a different folder. "

Any help would be awesome!

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

iTunes is looking for the default location of a music folder. That default location is in your user folder/Music/iTunes. Since you have it on an external hard drive it won't be able to find it in the default location. What you need to do is launch iTunes. Go to the iTunes menu, scroll down and select Preferences..., go to the Advanced tab, next to where it says iTunes Media folder location click the Change... button, from here show iTunes where your iTunes music folder is on your external hard drive. Close out of the preferences. You should be good to go.