I think my gpu burnt down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Celtic Warrior, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Celtic Warrior macrumors regular

Celtic Warrior

It was like about 30 minutes ago, while I was typing on pages. Computer suddenly took image off on screen then beeped like 5 or 6 times instantly which scared hell out of me by the way. I've never seen before like that in my entire life. Computer shut itself down. Then I turn it on again I thought it shut itself down because of overheat which overheated it before actually. When I saw beginning of computer screen, it just like fuzzy image then it turned normal screen again. I was skeptical about it btw, I checked mac configurations again. When I took a look at display screen, it does not display gpu anymore which has been replaced by Intel HD 3000 graphics. My computer is 2011 macbook pro 17 inch btw. I'm not sure about gpu but there's something that totally wrong about my notebook. I'll take my notebook to nearest Apple store tomorrow. Question that I ask you to reply it guys, have you ever encountered thing like that or problem ? Do you think my gpu got burned ?

2. Erasmus, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013

Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

When you go to "About This Mac", and press "More Info" you still get the HD3000 shown, because that's what your using at the moment. That is expected. If you then go "System Report" and click on "Graphics/Displays" you should have both the HD3000 and the AMD Radeon HD 6750M or 6770M in the resulting list.

The other thing you can do is use a GPU switching widget like "gfxcardstatus" to force it to use the AMD card. If your card is fried, it should be obvious if you do that.

The beeps could have been anything. Bad RAM, overheating, or just a harmless spaz-out.

EDIT: It seems that gfxcardstatus may no longer work, but you can still force the AMD GPU by going into your system prefs and disabling automatic graphics switching.

3. Celtic Warrior thread starter macrumors regular

Celtic Warrior

I had brought my computer to Apple store to be fixed by Apple though that has not occur because of my ram, which is needed to be original that has been replaced by me with 4x2. Therefore, they stated to me, there's no chance to test computer out to detect problem clearly etc. I needed to bring my original ram of macbook pro to detect problem actually. So, I have left them in my hometown though I do not think there's chance to bring it here in Toronto. Do you think purchasing a new ram could solve my problem ? By the way I tried turning my laptop today, after 15 minutes I have encountered fuzzy image and screen issue again.