I think my graphic card just did KABUM!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DanielOuteiro, Sep 17, 2011.

1. DanielOuteiro macrumors newbie

Hello. I was working in a project (using Maya, Illustrator and Photoshop at simultaneous) when my MacBook Pro made this:

[​IMG]

Then he crashed and starts (freezes the image on the spinning wheel) like this:

[​IMG]

I was in the middle of a life-changing project that i need to deliver until tomorrow.

Can someone help me describing the problem please?? Thank you!!

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

Shut down, count to 20, restart. But I strongly suspect you are correct.... your graphics card has gone KABUM!! I've seen that screen, and had my MBP repaired under AppleCare. In my case they replaced the entire logic board.

Sucks big time.... and on a deadline too.

The one positive thing is that since this is likely a graphics card issue the file is still fine, assuming you Saved the file relatively recently. If you have access to another Mac you have options to get the work completed.

3. DanielOuteiro thread starter macrumors newbie

For some time, it did restarted properly. But after 5 minutes, we went kabum again.

Two questions...

Is this problem eligible with the recall program i have been seeing online?

and

What is the best option...buy an external graphic card or replace the internal one?

Thank you very much, and hopefuly, i made the deadline in the delivery of the project! HUHUHHUHUUUUU!!!:D:D:D

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Only Apple can tell you if your computer is eligible, if you take it in, they'll run a test to determine if it is covered by the repair program. It likely is, if it's the right general type of model (that type of failure is common when those went out, I've seen many like that). As far as external graphics cards, there aren't any that you could use. I don't think anyone makes them, but even if they did, they could only power an external display, because there's no circuitry they could access to power the internal display.

jW

5. DanielOuteiro thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank yoiu very much for your help mal.

Just one final doubt... I bought my MBP in Portugal and, in this moment, i am working in Brazil. I will take it to the nearest Autorized Apple center, here in Brazil.

Will there be any problem about that, or the warranty is international?

Thank you both for the help!

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I had exactly the same problem with my old G5 iMac. Like yours, it started off intermittently but eventually crashed out completely.

I took my machine to my local Apple approved Service Centre and they replaced the logic board. What's more, the parts and installation were covered by a 90 day Apple Warranty.

As far as I know, the Apple Warranty is covered Internationally.