I think my Hard Drive is done for...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 2hondas, May 3, 2008.

1. 2hondas macrumors regular

I have a MacBook, and I installed Leopard a week ago. I was just browsing the internet with Firefox and listening to some music using itunes today...then my MacBook stops responding, and the color wheel comes up. I use Force Quit, it doesn't help.

I then turn off the computer, and return it on. Only a blue screen comes up and it stays there. (x countless times?).

I reset the PRAM? by turning it on, and holding Apple+Alt+P+R. That doesn't work. (x2)

Now its a grey screen. a Folder with a question mark shows up, flashing. I put in the OS X install disk, and it goes to the installer. I go to Disc Utility...my hard drive isnt listed there. Also, my Hard Drive isnt listed under the "Choose Destination" when I am installing Tiger...

I am expecting the worst right now. :(My MacBook is still under 1 year warranty...

Any ideas?

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I sure hope you had everything backed up!

Is the hard drive making any clicking noises? If not, then you might be in luck, maybe a cable came unplugged and it can be hopefully fixed easily.

Either way, just take it to an apple store or call up Applecare

3. MacGeek Pro macrumors member

Sounds like it is gone. I hope you did have a backup. Thankfully, the drive is super-easy to replace. But have Apple pay for it.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

+1 ^^^. I'll second the sentiment and advice of thejadedmonkey, they're exactly correct. Backups are essential, and a call to AppleCare or a visit to the Genius Bar in the morning is definitely called for.

If you have a bootable backup (SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner) are lifesavers in cases like this), this will be a relatively painless process, save the time spent on dealing with it. If you don't have any backup, you will after this. :(

5. 2hondas thread starter macrumors regular

Me, being the dumbass I am, did NOT backup. I know, I am stupid. :(

Yes, theres a clicking sound from my computer.

Can someone PLEASE tell me WHY it crashed?! :( And who makes hard drives for Apple?

Oh man, this is REALLY depressing.

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Nobody will know why it crashed, it just did. All things mechanical do, and there's a given short-term failure rate involved.

The drive for your MacBook is likely a Fujitsu. Apple buys drives from all the majors, as do the other OEM's.