I think my headphone Jack is efffed.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by palckofv, Jan 22, 2010.

1. palckofv macrumors regular

So I got to work this morning and tried to listen to my tunes on my iPhone and I plugged my headphones in and the sound was still coming from speakers. I've tried three pairs of headphones and tried mine on other phones they don't work on mine but on my friends iPhone it's fine. Anyone know what the problem may be? I'm using a 2g 3.1.2 jailbroken not unlocked. Thanks very much.

2. 1olive macrumors newbie

think pocket lint in the earphone plug----try using an air can to blow out the hole--carefully, then see if it works--also try shutting down the phone and restarting--

3. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Be very careful with this as a compresses air can often releases moisture from the compresses air which very well may set off the water detector in the headphone jack. If there is pocket lint in the jack, it's have to be a lot (and by a lot I mean like filled to the brim with lint) to completely stop sound. Have you tried a Reset by holding the Home and Power buttons at the same time for about 10 seconds or until the screen goes black?

DPA

4. palckofv thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking the same thing about the can of air being risky. I did do a reboot and no luck. This is a huge bummer. I was hoping to hold off gettng a new one until the 4g came out. Looks like I'll have to bust out my old iPod. Thanks for the help

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

DO NOT, IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE COMPRESSED AIR ON YOUR IPHONE!!!

As has been stated above, compressed air cans release a fine mist of moisture which will activate the iphone's moisture detector and void your warranty!

Using a magnifying glass and a bright light, look down the phono socket and you should be able to see if the problem is fluff or damaged contacts.

It's also worthwhile to chech another set of phones - just in case it's the originals that are the problem.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's a 2g so has no water sensor!

Use compressed air the screen is sealed so no chance of odd specks making it there!

7. palckofv thread starter macrumors regular

tried switxhng headphones and still no luck. I got the phone in like the third week they were out so the warranty is no more so I guess I'll try the air and hope for the best. Thanks fr all the input

8. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

every iphone/ipod touch has a water sensor...look down your headphone jack with a flashlight. youll see a white thing. now submerge it in water. now look down there with a flash light. its red. and now your warranty is voided because thats how apple tells.

9. palckofv thread starter macrumors regular

thanks everyone for all the input. but the craziest thing happened. I just decided to try one more time this morning before i busted out the old ipod and low and behold it worked!!! I have no idea what i did or how it got fixed but it did.

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

only late 2g had them then the full 3g cycle including the 3gs. There was none in the original iPhone.

It was about 6 months in before they started showing up.