I think my iMac G4 just self destructed...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by KeegM480, Mar 8, 2014.

1. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

So.. still a bit shaken up about this (seriously)

I am in the process of renovating my room, was finishing moving some stuff today (everything had been finished, Im simply removing my TV stand).

I moved my iMac G4 from the TV stand to my desk, problem is, its self destructed in the process.

I plugged in the keyboard and mouse, then put the power cable in, about 15 seconds later I heard some odd noises and saw smoke pouring out of the imac vents, I immediately yanked the power cable out while having a heart attack thinking everything is about to catch on fire.

Im not turning this thing on until I can have some ideas as to what might have happened...

Oh, and my room now smells awful (burnt electronics)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Your power supply likely died. Your data is very likely to still be intact on the hard drive. Which model G4 iMac do you have?

3. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

You wouldn't have suffered a surge, would you have?
    I remember the same feeling when I pulled my iBook G4s power plug from the MB. Sorry to hear this.
    EDIT: Intell got here first! I didn't think about it being the power supply, but that sounds reasonable.

4. KeegM480 thread starter macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

I believe I have the M9285LL/A iMac G4 (its the 1GHz 17" model) I just don't remember if its usb 1 or 2. Not anything on the computer I didn't use it too much. So when the power supply dies the computer catches on fire? Or the computer caught on fire making the power supply die?

Shouldn't have been a surge my other devices were plugged in together. I literally moved the iMac off the TV stand to my desk and plugged it back in (I didn't even unplug the cable from the sruge protector). It sucks, but at least I was home when this happened. Could have been aweful if I wasn't home..

5. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I have yet to have this happen with one of my macs, (knock on wood) but with my Custom Built PC the other day, I plugged it in and started getting the burning smell and immediately unplugged it. Then I waited like 5 minutes, plugged it back in and turned on fine. And if this PC burned up, I wouldn't care much - just a core 2 duo :)

6. AmestrisXServe macrumors 6502

I concur with Intell: That sounds like you blew a cap.

I don't know why it happened at this exact time, but the cap may have already been bad, and moving it, and connecting power to it (possible with a surge) likely destroyed a cap on your PSU.

7. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Take it apart and see if you can find which cap blew.

8. KeegM480 thread starter macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

Problem is I actually had smoke, thinking its more severe.

Cap?

Again, whats a cap, how would I find and replace said cap.

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

"cap" is a short-speak for "capacitor", a common electronic component on both the logic board, and inside the power supply.

You would need to open the bottom case to take a look inside. With the smoke and smell, the failed component will likely be visible. Then, you'll know more about what you may need for the repair.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's the oddball in between model. It isn't quite like the older 700-800Mhz models and it isn't quite like the rest of the 1Ghz-1.25Ghz models. The power supply part number you need is 922-5796. It uses the same power supply as the 1Ghz 15" and 1.25Ghz 17" G4 iMac. The 20" power supply may be usable in it as well, but I'm not sure.

It didn't really catch fire. It may have sparked something internally or blew a capacitor. Both events would lead to it not working anymore and it emitting a foul smelling blue-ish smoke. It is sometimes accompanied with a bright blue flash of light and a loud pop. The power supplies death isn't very dangerous to the end user beyond the blue smoke.

11. KeegM480 thread starter macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

No, I know id didn't catch on fire :) I was wanting to emphasize how much smoke came out of the machine, it was "on fire" is a better way to describe that. So is it safe to try and plug the unit in again? Im going to assume not until the power supply is fixed?

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'd imagine it'd be safe to plug it in again. Just be ready to quickly unplug it again. If you can, plug it into a surge protector all by itself or into a circuit that doesn't have anything else on it. That way if it goes crazy again (it likely won't) there is minimal risk to other electronic things.

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I had that happen on a Compaq DeskPro computer. The PSU apparently had a bad cap and plugging it in made the whole PSU burn out every cap on the board. A new PSU could of fixed it but it was old and easier to just get rid of it.

14. KeegM480 thread starter macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

Im planning on just putting it on Craigslist and seeing what I can get for it. Its not worth it to fix, I traded an old Dell Inspiron for it a couple months ago.

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

PSUs probably aren't all that expensive. Or if you or someone you know is competent with a soldering iron it shouldn't be hard at all.

16. KeegM480 thread starter macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

Power Supplies run about $30 the computer was listed for $50 when I traded for it, I just don't see the value, and don't know anyone that can solder.

17. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

PM'd.