Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saving107

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
@DesignerOnMac

At the Apple Store they won't do any repairs, when I pay the $299 fee they will just give me a new unit (refurbished). Now if send it in to Apple Care they will take it apart and access the damage, but I feel thats to time consuming and now I know for sure that my claim was approved with Master Card, almost doesn't seem worth it.

I don't want to criticize Apple for the opinion of 1 genius employee (I understand the situation and the condition of my iPad), and I understand that my case is a little hard to believe anything otherwise, but I do want to say that I am disappointed on how this turned out. To know that I didn't drop it or cause excessive force and then to be told with absolute belief that this is my fault, made me mad.

I have an appointment for this friday at the Valley Faire Mall Apple Store (this is 90 mile away from my house), I'm hoping to just put this behind me and if I have to pay for a replacement unit because they still believe I did this, I will.

cmalinowski

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2010
I don't want to criticize Apple for the opinion of 1 genius employee ....

Sorry, Apple pays them to be there. If they f it up this badly, it's Apple's fault. Don't blame the genius employee, blame the system that let him be the sole arbiter for this type of thing.

Apparently, once he gives his opinion, it's a done deal. That's bunk. If this guy has a bad day, or really just wants to screw with people, there is no recourse. That's a piss poor process.

Chris

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Most engineers would take a look at that and say it's not battery damage. You need to watch more Mythbusters.

Sorry, Apple pays them to be there. If they f it up this badly, it's Apple's fault. Don't blame the genius employee, blame the system that let him be the sole arbiter for this type of thing.

Apparently, once he gives his opinion, it's a done deal. That's bunk. If this guy has a bad day, or really just wants to screw with people, there is no recourse. That's a piss poor process.

Chris

That must be why Apple Care has the highest rating in the industry? It's due to piss poor process.

Or perhaps piss poor FUD? :rolleyes:

edblor

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Most engineers would take a look at that and say it's not battery damage. You need to watch more Mythbusters.

That must be why Apple Care has the highest rating in the industry? It's due to piss poor process.

Or perhaps piss poor FUD? :rolleyes:

Did you even read the thread?

The OP proved that this is piss-poor procedure. The Genius made an assessment, and that stood as gospel when Apple-Care looked at his record. A second opinion at Apple is no longer an option...yeah, that's piss-poor in my book.

I love me some Apple products, but I'd hate for it to be a roll of the dice if something out of my control happened and my warranty was voided.

G/L to the OP, please let us know how this ultimately ends up.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
Well at least the AppleCare pulled through for you.

And because you are paying for the refurb unit, your 1 year standard warranty will be continued, that's their general term, if there's what they'd refer to as 'accidental damage', if you pay to have it fixed, your warranty continues. If you don't pay, it gets voided.

surferchick2

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2007
Fidalgo Island, WA
Dang. It was on your nightstand? Are you sure you didn't take an ambien and used it as a seat cushion thinking you were at a game? Just kidding.....I'm glad it worked out in the end.

saving107

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
UPDATE #2: With Results :D

So I just got back from the Apple Store in San Jose Valley Faire Mall (90 miles from my house), and I have a success story. The only reason I made an appointment at this store is because my birthday is tomorrow and I knew I was going to spend it here in the bay area with my family.

So yesterday I received my check from Master Card for the amount of $300 to cover the repair fees of the iPad (since Apple said that I obviously damaged my own iPad) and so I went in with the intention to pay the amount and be done with it. After a 5 minute wait, a genius employee came over and said "Are You George?" "How can I help you today?"

I handed him my iPad, he took a look at, he typed in my serial numer into his iPod touch and said "Just give me a minute wile I look up your info" (he didn't even wait for my info to load) he just put the iPod back in his pocket. He then told me "normally we don't cover damages like this, but I'm going to go ahead an swap it for you at no charge" he then leaned in and kind of whispered "We're not suppose to cover this, but it always depends who helps you and I'm a nice and I like to take care of people" he then went behind the counter and grabbed my new iPad.

I thanked him repeatedly and told him that he is awesome for doing this. My whole visit lasted about 15 minutes (including wait time) and now I'm currently re-syncing my content back to my iPad. I'm glad he swapped it for me, but it just goes to show you that every case varies depending on who helps you and the time of day. My first 2 apt was at 7pm and this last one was at 11am (and he had just clocked in, I was his first client)

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
Glad to see it all came through for you!

I had a similar experience with my MBP. They dismissed all the problems I was having, so I took it to another store and spoke to the Head Genius there, he said "Yes this is a problem, so we'll be replacing Part X,Y,Z".

Just goes to show, if you get an arse Genius, you'll get arse Customer Service.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
While I'm glad he got a new iPad, it's frustrating at the same time, as he was not supposed to. He broke his iPad and got a new one. How fair is that to people who break theirs and DON'T get new iPads? Essentially, the dude who swapped it out is, for all intents and purposes, Mr. Apple. Now, there are lots of Mr. Apples who won't do the same thing for others.

Call me a party pooper, but if you break your iPad, you don't deserve a free new one. Period.

Lotso

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
OC, California
I think some Geniuses have bad days. My iPhone 3Gs had dust under the screen and I noticed if I ran my finger along the edge of the screen I could feel it part of the screen was raised off the metal, so I took it into them and they said they would replace the screen and clean it for free. I was happy with that. However, about a month later, more dust. I take it in again and the Genius insisted on replacing the screen AGAIN. I kept insisting that if it has happened two times now its going to do it again. I even asked for the manager but he just wouldn't budge. So he replaces my screen. Lo and behold a month later dust AGAIN!

All my other encounters with the Geniuses have been pleasant, so I really think that some of them just have bad day or something... some have good like in your case.

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
I would send the money back, you never know what you Need to cover in the future and returning it is right, congrats on. Your new iPad,

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
I think the OP slept with his iPad and did this unknowingly, body weight... then when he turned it on to surf the web in the AM it began to get more warped until he put it on the nightstand to go to breakfast and when he came back it ceased functioning... but oh well, at least there is a happy ending.:rolleyes:

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I think the OP slept with his iPad and did this unknowingly, body weight... then when he turned it on to surf the web in the AM it began to get more warped until he put it on the nightstand to go to breakfast and when he came back it ceased functioning... but oh well, at least there is a happy ending.:rolleyes:

Ha ha ... he said happy ending.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
always good to hear a nice ending to some of these nightmares.

FInally did what they should have done right away.

I would return the money and add it to good karma in the future.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Glad to hear the genius came through. It's sad that this system is so subjective. I had a 4G iPod where the LCD went inop inside the case, similar to these iPad threads. However, the iPod was one day old and hardly out of the box, still mint condition. The genius refused replacement because the lcds only stop working because of user damage, even though there was no sign of anything. I took it to another Apple store, explained the situation, and walked out satisfied.

I'm happy to see it worked for you this time. Since Apple did the right thing here, it's only right that you do the right thing with the refund check.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.