I think my iPod is broken..

Discussion in 'iPod' started by carve, Jul 20, 2007.

1. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

Hello all, I have had my ipod video since It was first launched, I got the iPod in October. So, today I hooked it up to my iBook G4 so that I could charge it. When I plugged it in iTunes did not open. It didn't even recognize my ipod. It has been like this for about half an hour. Luckily I purchased the protection program for it. I tried to plug in my camera into the USB, it recognized it. By the way, How does the Apple protection plan work? Do they send it in to get fixed or do they replace it for you? Please help, macluver101 :(

2. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Have you tried launching/re-launching iTunes manually to see if it finds the iPod?

I keep iTunes open almost all the time and sometimes when I plug in the iPod it isn't recognized but if I quit iTunes and re-launch it finds it just fine.

3. carve thread starter macrumors 6502a

carve

4. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

How dead was the battery? You might want to try leaving it plugged in for awhile to charge and see if that makes any difference in detecting it.

Mine (3 year old 4th gen iPod) has recently done a couple of odd things when the battery gets really low. I thought I'd lost it earlier this week but it miraculously came back after I cracked it open and plugged the cable in... not sure how long it has left but we'll see.

5. carve thread starter macrumors 6502a

carve

It is low. In the red section

It doesn't even show the "Charging" icon in the upper right hand corner either...

6. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I'd try leaving it charge for an hour or two and then see if disconnecting/reconnecting has any effect. For what it's worth I had mine do this a couple weeks back, and it decided to show up again after I had plugged it into my work PC for awhile just to check if another computer would recognize it. After that it detected fine on my PowerBook...

Does it work fine other than not detecting?

Have you rebooted your Mac?

7. carve thread starter macrumors 6502a

carve

No, the ipod is frozen. It won't even turn off. I will restart my mac now

nope, didn't seem to do anything

8. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

do you have a wall charger or firewire ipod cable?

9. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

If you've got battery power on your ipod and its not being recognized you will probably just have to reset it.

Good luck.

10. carve thread starter macrumors 6502a

carve

nope no wall charger I will plug it into my computer and tell you what happens...

11. poofusnoof macrumors newbie

My sisters iPod quit working once. The clickwheel was broken. If it is still under the waranty you go to their website and fill out a request form thing. They Send you a box with instructions and packaging materials...you send it in..then if its covered they'll fix it..if its not they either wont fix it or charge you.