I think my iTunes account was hacked!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by davidg4781, Apr 9, 2009.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

So, on Monday, I received 2 email receipts from iTunes. Both were for a $50 iTunes gift card. I checked my bank account, and sure enough, I had 2 $50 drafts from my account.

I was out of town when it happened, but when I got home, I signed onto iTunes and checked my purchases...there they were. The thing is, no one was at home when it happened and my password is needed whenever I purchase anything. I have no idea how it happened!

I changed my password and emailed iTunes support. I chatted with them on Tuesday when they opened and they really didn't do anything but told me to call my credit card company. I called my bank and they sent me some fraud stuff so I can get my money back.

I did go back and check the cards and there's an email address on one of them...I guess to where the person was sending the cards to. Should I contact them? Apple finally sent me an email telling me to pretty much leave everything alone in case the police need to do an investigation.

I still don't know how this can happen. I'm very careful with what I do with my passwords.

2. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

unless you did something to piss people off on the internet,no one hacked your itunes. maybe you got drunk and bought stuff? you been smoking weed boy?huh?have ya?i know ya did just admit it boy! :rolleyes: haha

3. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

It very well could have been hacked it's more likly than the op being an drug user. At least no purchases were made so you technically still have the credit and you did the right thing by changing your password.

4. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

http://tinyurl.com/6xccrm

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Probably fell for phishing scheme. Not hacked.

6. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

Wow. Just wow. I know, sarcasm and all that, but nope, didn't happen.

And the gift cards were sent to some other guy's email address, so I don't have them. Not that I would want them. I really don't buy that much through iTunes. I've thought of buying a movie every now and then, but I would rather have the actual DVD... plus the speakers on my MacBook make it annoyingly difficult to listen to.

As for phishing, I don't think so. Like I said, I'm very careful when I put in my password. I even like to type in the address rather than following links especially from third party sites.