I think my mac might have a virus in it... please help!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kidalex, Sep 17, 2008.

1. kidalex macrumors newbie

My mac has been virus free for a long time, but I think my virus-free days are over now...

Basically everything goes wrong, the menu bar doesn't respond, and applications don't open. Everything is right after I restart, but after 10 minutes, it goes wrong again.

Please help me!!!:):):):):)

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You will need to supply a lot more information

Are you running Leopard?
    Are you up to date?
    What Mac are you using?

Are those the only symptoms?
    Do you have any 3rd party hacks?
    Have you installed anything lately?

Have you created a new user account to see if things are OK there?

Etc.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Have you tried repairing permissions? Some of the new updates have caused similar problems for other users.

TEG

4. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

See above! And use Disc Utility to repair permissions, just in case...

5. kidalex thread starter macrumors newbie

Installing Leopard 10.5.5

I'm gonna install 10.5.5...

I've hacked it before, but I've deleted everything...
    It all started to happen a day ago, and I haven't downloaded anything...

Thanks, guys...

I'll tell you if 10.5.5 makes a difference

6. kidalex thread starter macrumors newbie

Arrghh

Now I'm freaking out!!! After I installed 10.5.5, and I rebooted, (after I installed it) it brings me too the gray screen with the apple and the continuous circle, but after that the screen just turns blue and nothing happens. I tried rebooting again but it happens again!!!

HELP!!!

7. WarMachine macrumors member

WarMachine

You "hacked" it?

Anyway, just start the computer from the Leopard DVD, open up Disk Utility and repair permissions on your drive. See if it makes a difference.

8. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

+1. I recommend you do this and also verify/repair your startup drive while you are at it. Also, is this a notebook or desktop?

First of all, there are no viruses for mac out in the wild.

Second, did the 10.5.5 update fully install?

You may also want to do a PRAM (option,command, p, and r keys held down at restart until chime, restart, and chime again) and SMC reset (Shut down everything and unplug/take out battery if this is a notebook. Leave unplugged/battery out for about 5 minutes then put it all back together.) If that doesn't work and you can't get it to start up boot into safe mode by holding shift at startup.

9. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I've noticed that every thread that says " I think my Mac has a virus" is started by a newbie.. That's not a knock on the OP, or newbies in general, just an odd coincidence that for some strange reason I noticed over the years.. It's weird, the things that we notice for no apparent reason..

Doesn't sound like a virus- but I am curious as to what would cause that strange behavior..Keep us posted when you figure out what caused this- and also when you figure out the solution..

10. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Maybe he was "playing" with core files...

BTW what do you mean by "hacking" 10.5.5?

11. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

Just do a clean install and restore your files from your backup.

If you hack the system and download dodgy files then I'm assuming you are savvy enough to have a backup for this sort of scenario.

12. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

You don't have a virus, you just fubar'd your system. Clean install time. Or just take it back to the store since you don't know how to stop mucking it up.

13. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have some recommendations, but because you haven't provided some essential information, my recommendations are going to be rather catch-all than specific...

1 - You don't have anything backed up (shame on you!)
    a - find your original Leopard disk. Boot from it. Archive and Install. Be sure to include all the "extra" software that came with your machine, ie iWork. It is not reinstalled by default.

2 - You have everything backed up with time machine
    a - find your original Leopard disk. Boot from it. Erase and Install. Then restore from your time machine backup.

3 - You have everything backed up by manually copying files to a usb drive, network drive, idisk, etc, etc etc and you don't mind risking that none of your settings or third party apps come back.
    a - find your original Leopard disk. Boot from it. Erase and Install. Then restore by copying your files back to your home folder. Reinstall only ESSENTIAL 3rd party apps. No hacks. No tweaks.

4 - any of the above are true, but you live near an Apple store and have current Applecare...
    a - take your machine to the Apple store and let them help you for free.

5 - any of the above (except #4) are true, but you live near an Apple store and you have money and don't mind paying for help.
    a - take your machine to the Apple store and pay them to help you.

b - this is step b for all the steps above...Just use OS X by itself for a while. Create a new backup as soon as your machine becomes stable and usable. Don't let system update run until you have a few trouble-free days.
    c - create a new backup before letting system update download and install 10.5.5, etc....
    d - be sure to come back here and post and let us know how you made out

hope this helps...

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I'll place my bets on hackintosh.

15. gibbz macrumors 68030

This offers solutions to the blue screen boot problem.

16. kidalex thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to everyone

I want to clarify that I did have my files backed up.

I did a clean install of leopard and did all the software updates. Leopard runs fine now.

Thank you to you all! (especially for helping a kid newbie:):):))

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's because most "newbies" come from a Windows experience where 80+% of problems ARE caused by viruses, trojans, malware, etc. They don't yet accept the fact that there are no viruses in the wild that affect Macs, so frequently they suspect a virus when things happen that they don't understand.

18. kidalex thread starter macrumors newbie

I do not come from Windows

I do not come from windows! That would be boo-hoo for me, because I've always been with macs, since they first came out!

Thanks everybody for your help! I think I did overreact a little...

What can you expect, I'm a kid :)

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Been a couple decades.

So did you jump in with the Lisa, the Mac 512, or the Fat Mac, or a converted Apple 2 user.

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No one said that you came from Windows.
    And if you have "always been with macs, since they first came out!", then you're NOT a "kid", and you should know that there are no viruses that affect Macs.
    You're quite right, Sun Baked. The Macintosh was introduced in 1984. My first Apple was the Apple II.

21. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Me too.. I still remembered seeing them at banks for awhile even after the Mac was introduced.. Another one of those goofy things that I'm probably the only knucklehead that actually noticed..

;-)