I think my mb pro runs Diablo 3 on intel integrated vga

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Damian83, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Damian83 macrumors member

i just got a mb pro 15" non-retina and i started diablo 3. i think i have too less FPS considering what i just read about other users running same game on same mb. i think games still uses the integrated vga. any idea how to be sure if 650m is enabled? thanks

2. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

You should be able to max the game at native res.

I think it's unlikely that your integrated graphics are in use, but you can always download gfxCardStatus to force to use of discrete graphics.

Otherwise, make sure you have made all OS X updates and reset your SMC.

3. cbs20 macrumors member

Do an SMC reset and a PRAM reset. See if they resolve your issue.

4. Damian83 thread starter macrumors member

it switches when i start diablo howewer there s something strange when i try various settings combinations. i mean sometimes it run at 60, then i change something and it goes to 30, then i back to the first setting and its still at 30, instead of 60...

5. cbs20 macrumors member

Did you try the SMC and PRAM resets like I suggested? Also, you have to take in to account that the Diablo 3 mac client has very inconsistent fps.

6. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

You have vsync enabled... If d3 can't hold 60fps it drops down to 30fps... If you want higher fps then disable it (but it will screen tear like crazy and look much worse)

7. Damian83 thread starter macrumors member

i know v-sync limits max fps, but not at 30 fps frames. if i set 54, it goes max 54, if i set 34 then it goes 34 , etc... anyway on my imac, with gtx 675mx i get 60fps with max res + all max settings, v-sync enbled, and max fps 60. sometimes i get 30 fps with screen full filled with mobs, and 15 fps with other 3 coop players. i thougth with a 650m i got same performances considering res its around 4 times less pixels (2560x1440 vs 1440x900)....

8. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

Blizzard employee explains it right here http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6397850110#7

9. BL4zD macrumors 6502

V-sync = sync'd to the vertical refresh rate of the screen. It locks the fps at the screen's refresh rate of 60hz. That is how v-sync works regardless of whether using windows or osx. If you are seeing fps at 54 or 34 or anything other than 60 then v-sync is not set.

I'm not sure why the blue posts on the blizzard forum are saying osx does v-sync differently. What Windows has is the ability to triple buffer so it won't drop to 30 fps. Maybe OSX can't do triple buffering but other than that there shouldn't be significant differences.

Here is a lengthier explanation of v-sync
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928593

that said, you should just turn it off because I doubt you are going to be going over 60fps very often at native resolution and shouldn't be experiencing screen tearing.

10. Damian83 thread starter macrumors member

ok thanks