I Think My MBP 13" Fan Broke...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spaceboots06, May 26, 2011.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Hi everyone,

I noticed yesterday that my MBP was running really, really hot. I had smcFanControl in the past and never really used but decided to download it again and see if I could kick the fan in because the fan clearly wasn't on. Whether the fan wasn't needed because the computer wasn't considered hot or whether it's broken, I don't know... Anyway, smcFanControl reported 000rpm, and after some Googling I decided to get iStat and see what it reported. My fan came up as 0rpm as well.

I read something about putting the install discs in and running a troubleshooter... What would I do in order to do this? Is this the solution?

Can you guys think of anything that I could test or try out to see if I can get my fan running? Is there anywhere to check that is Apple official that will let me know what's going on with the fan?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

P.S. To see if the fan will start, would opening up a video game or something that's super intensive be a good idea? I've only been using Chrome, iTunes, iPhoto and Word sparingly; I've been trying to avoid stuff that is intensive.

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

The fans are by default set to never run lower than 2000 RPM on the MacBook Pros, so if your fan is not running at all it is likely broken.

About the troubleshooting you are talking about: Insert your Applications Install DVD that came with the computer, reboot, and hold down D as the computer boots.

3. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Something doesn't sound right. I'm pretty sure that the fans in the Pro's are always running at a slow (1000-2000rpm) speed regardless of activity, and kick in to around 6000rpm max when doing something very intensive.

You can run the diagnostics by putting in the OSX install disc that came with the Mac and holding down the 'D' key when you hear the chime while rebooting the system.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yeah, that sounds like it's broken. I don't recommend using anything intensive on it until you get it fixed.

5. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Kudos to the both of you!

Is the Application Install DVD the same as the OSX Install DVD? I bought my MBP with Leopard (will have to dig up the disc it came with) and bought the Snow Leopard disc when it came out... can I use either?

6. kolax macrumors G3

The 13" only has one fan, so it's possible that SMCFanControl etc is looking for a second fan that is in the 15/17" models and reporting it as 0 rpm.

But to be sure, just open the back and see if the fan spins when you boot it (shut it down before you open it, usual safety etc.).

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

On the Application Install DVD that came with my MacBook Pro (see signature), the text "To use Apple Hardware Test, hold down the D key as the computer starts up" is printed. So I assume that works. :)

8. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Broken.

4MOT/1/40000002:Exhaust-0

What's best & cheapest way to fix this? Apologies for being brief, on my phone.

Thanks.

9. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

If its less than a year old or if you have apple care, its under warrantee.

10. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Update:

Opened it up, dusted the fan. Still nothing. =\

Edit - When I tap the area that the fan is behind, I hear a stuttering/jittery noise... Hmm...

11. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

If its still under warranty, then Apple will fix it for free.

If it just ran out of warranty not long ago, I would still take it to the Apple store - they have been known to be generous at times.

If not, you can always just buy a replacement fan using the correct Apple Part #, and install it yourself if you are technically inclined.

12. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Hey all,

I played with the fan while my laptop was on and after prodding it for a little with a pencil eraser and spinning the fan violently it suddenly kicked in! :D

Thanks for the help everyone!

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Doesn’t matter. You may be okay for now, but you’re fan is failing. You’d be smart to get it replaced ASAP.

14. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I speculate that it was dusty or there was some object that was blocking it from properly functioning. Is that a reasonable conclusion?

15. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

No. How big must the dust particles be to block a fan spinning at 2000rpm's constantly?

Like everyone else said - if it's under warranty, take it to Apple.