I think my MBP HD is dying

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Burnsey, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

I've had my MBP for about a year, and things so far have been fairly fine and dandy. However recently the system has begun to slow down, when doing relatively basic tasks. for example, boot times have increased from 30 seconds in Tiger, to 1min+ with leopard (tho maybe leopard not to blame). I get the beach ball randomly when surfing the web with safari or firefox, I get the beach ball (or just plain slow) when typing things in spotlight in finder and searching for things that way, I get the beach ball when looking something up in the dictionary, and yesterday I got the beach ball while opening calculator. And just now I got the beach ball in safari while right clicking a mis-spelled word (and my HD seems to be doing a lot of work).

During all the times, I've had a ton of free ram, and my processor usage has been around 6-20%, leading me to conclude it is my HD to blame for the slow down. There are no odd noises coming from it, and disk utility says smart status is verified. Recently (before the slow down) I have reset the PRAM and repaired permissions, IDK if that could be causing it.

Is my HD dying?

Edit: right now I'm surfing the web with safari and not doing much and my HD is doing a lot of work! (I got the beach ball once again too (short tho)) why?

2. ElMulo macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I would advise to boot from your Leopard CD and do a hardware test + verify disk.

Also, how much free space do you have left on your HDD?

3. Burnsey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply! I have 55GB free.

4. DND82 macrumors member

I would recommend that you try to backup your data first before running any tests.

My Powerbook was experiencing more or less the same problem last year. However when I tried to repair the disc from the boot disc, it was unable to repair, next thing I know I wasn't able to mount the hard drive. Ended up replacing the drive and I lost about a month of info, luckily nothing too important.

-Dane