I think my MBP is getting too hot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by huskermania, May 1, 2010.

1. huskermania macrumors member

So over the past month, I've been noticing that my 13" MBP's temps have been getting hotter. Since then, I've installed Fan Control and have been keeping an extra eye on iStat Pro.

Over the past 2 weeks, my CPU was reaching temps of 207-209F under load. Now I do a lot of HD video editing for my YouTube page, but I've never cracked 207-209F under load before. (Typically, I run @about 190-193F max when encoding.) The fans are also running at 6200rpm consistently, which I believe is the max. The computer itself is on an mStand, which I believe would give it extra air circulation/ cooling. When idle, the computer is running at ~150F.

This is a little too hot for comfort, don't you think?

2. Sailorloco macrumors member

That does sound a little too hot. I don't use istat on my 13" because its generally for email and surfing, but on my 15" MBP I've never seen it go passed 183 and I only remember seeing it that high while i had my Speck hard cover on. Once I removed the hardcover I hardly saw it go passed 179. Did you check the vents?

Mando

3. bailmdb macrumors newbie

I have a Speck cover too and when I spend a lot of time watching HD vids on YouTube, or playing Morrowind on Win 7 through BootCamp, my 15" MBP gets pretty hot. Not sure about actual temps, but I'm curious what ideal operating temps are and what is considered "too hot"?

4. huskermania thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I opened the bottom and there was very little dust in there.

Just a side note, my computer is idle now and the fans are going ~4800rpm and keeping the temp stable at 149-151

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The shutdown temp for the MBP is from 100 to 105 degrees C.

The OP's MBP is running pretty hot. Post a pic of your Activity Monitor for All Processes and showing %CPU. I'd bet you have something running around 100%.

6. bailmdb macrumors newbie

Just downloaded iStat and when nothing was up my MBP was running at about 100 fahrenheit with the left fan running right at 1000rpm.

Right now, with my browser up and about 4 other programs running, temp is 113, left fan at 1996rpm.

7. huskermania thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, Premiere Pro + Adobe Media Encoder were taking up ~97% on both cores. The rest were apps like Safari and Tweetie. I don't have a pic of it anymore b/c the processes ended.