I think my MBP might be dying - help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bck203, Mar 22, 2011.

1. bck203 macrumors newbie

I've had my Macbook Pro since July 2006, so it's pretty old, I guess. It's served me well until recently...it's just gotten REALLY slow, freezes all the time, and my third battery is now completely dead. I have lots of empty space on my hard drive, so I don't know why it's so slow...is it just age? Anything I can do to speed it up? Or is it time for me to cave and get a new one? If so, can you point me to any tips on the new Macbook vs. Macbook Pro?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How do you know your battery is dead? Does it not hold a charge at all? Have you checked its status in System Profiler or with an app such as iStat Pro, iStat Menus or coconutBattery? This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. euphoria47 macrumors member

Honestly, back your stuff up, wipe the HD with disk utility it and reinstall ur OS and essentials. I'd avoid using time machine though, as any problems you have with odd files and bad fonts, etc. that are slowing you down will be brought back. The battery thing happens, I still have my old mbp (check sig) and it had an x for the battery indicator for a while, though it has resolved itself and i can get 40 mins out of it now. Also my 3rd battery.

You will probably want to invest in a new computer soon because it won't be able to keep up with new software for much longer. Spending $$$ on a battery for such an old machine doesn't really make much sense. Then again if you are a light user, you probably will manage to hold off your upgrade a while longer.