I think my silent switch is mechanically stuck?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NIPRING, May 13, 2008.

1. NIPRING macrumors 6502

I think my phone is stuck in silent mode. The side switch has a click feel when flipping it to reveal the orange dot, however when i flip it back there is not click feel. i think its messed up internally under that switch. To test this theory, i turned off the vibrate option on just silent mode and that is exactly what happened. Call showed silently on screen but no vibration.
    Now, here is my problem, i bought this phone off craigslist a few weeks ago. Checked the warranty and found out that its covered until Dec. 12 '08.

But...it unlocked and jailbroken. Can i do a restore and then take it in? Will they fix/replace it? Will they check to see if its unlocked? Will they care if it is?
    What are my options?
    Thanks
    Bill

2. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Install BootNeuter from Installer. set the bootloader to whatever it was originally (if it came with 1.1.2, then it should be 4.6, I think). Turn all the other settings off.

Now restore in iTunes.

3. NIPRING thread starter macrumors 6502

Is the fact that my phone wont audibly ring grounds enough to replace it?

4. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I think it's only grounds for repair...though if they are unable to repair it, then they'll replace it.

Or they could just be nice and replace it. Apple stores are unique in that they all do things differently.

5. NIPRING thread starter macrumors 6502

i dont really know what it originally came with. All i know is that is under warranty until december 08 so what ever bootloader was current as of dec 07 was original, b ut i dont know what that would be. after i choose the bootloader, do i press the flash button and then do the itunes restore?

6. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Yes, just press flash.

Hmm, if your iPhone came with 1.1.2 or above when you first bought it, then it's 4.6...anything below 1.1.2 is 3.9.