I Think the ATT&T guy just did me a solid

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by braddick, Jun 28, 2009.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Ok, I was one of those guys that just had to have the iPhone when it first came out. Waited in line and the whole nine yards.
    Was not disappointed.

Fast forward about a year and upon the 3G's release, was there, eagerly waiting. My wife doesn't get it, but she is cool.

I had the first generation and the 3G with service on both. It wasn't too long into that contract I realized I wasn't using the first phone nearly enough to warrant keeping service on it even if AT&T did charge me a slight disconnect fee.

I went in (this would be about six months ago) and the guy was very helpful and actually ended up changing my first iPhone to a $9.95/month plan. It has full phone service, just no EDGE (WiFi still works). At less than $10. a month I was totally alright keeping the second iPhone even if I still didn't use it much.

Now, here we are launch day a few days ago and I pick up my 3G S. I was lucky to get the same AT&T guy and he simply activates my new phone with the sim card from the 3G and then proceeds to switch out the sim from my first generation iPhone and place it in the 3G allowing that phone to continue on the $9.95 a month plan!

It's nice having a second phone (again, no 3G internet service outside of WiFi) at such a cheap price!

My question: Was he within policy allowing me to have this or was he kind of doing me a favor?

(On a side note, I've decided to also keep the first iPhone although it doesn't have phone service, obviously, but works as a great iTouch.)

2. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Interesting. So the phone still works as a phone just no data? I thought everything on the phone used data. Wifi would work obviously even if the phone had no service, but if he somehow made the iPhone able to place calls without the mandatory data plan then yes he did you a solid.

3. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Yes, that's exactly what he did.
    There is no difference between my 3G and my 3G S (other than the obvious phone upgrades built within) outside of having internet service via AT&T.

Calls? Check.
    WiFi? Check.
    Apps?
    Music?
    iTunes? Check; check, and check.

Just the 3G internet is missing.
    Again, for $9.95, I'm totally cool with that.

4. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

That is cool...I live in Cardiff...which ATT store did you go to? Encinitas Towne Center?

5. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

No, it was the Carlsbad forum (right off of Leucadia Blvd and North El Camino Real).
    There is an Apple store about 200 yards away.

it's next to a Starbucks and if the line gets more than about five deep, they'll put your name on a clipboard allowing you to leave for a few minutes and get a cup of coffee and relax.

I'm about to write a letter of appreciation to AT&T corporate as I have the employee's business card. Or course I'd leave the exact details of the transaction out but generally state each of the three times I've been into their store to purchase the iPhone he's been superior in his customer service and knowledge of the product and programs.
    He's so good, Liz and I almost dumped Cox Cable and went with AT&T's system for TV and home connection.

As a side note, he also talked us out of purchasing the TEXT messaging contract stating it was too expensive for what you get and recommending an App that is released or soon will be that covers it but much cheaper.

6. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Thank you braddick, I know exactly where that AT&T store is (I go to that Apple Store all the time)...
    He sounds like a great guy...I'll check it out. My Daughter wants to activate my old 2G iphone but she doesn't want the data plan...I'll check with them about that...

7. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Can you do that with all 2G iPhones or is just a deal that this at&t guy gave you? I would love to get my daughter a used 2G and not have a data plan for it.

8. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Don't think this is possible. He is just lucky, and has a sweet ass AT&T rep.

9. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

It all depends on who you get either at the store or on the phone. :)