I think the delay rumors were true

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/01/apple-engineers-working-overtime-on-ios-7s-deforstallization/

From the above post:

According to a report from Bloomberg earlier today, Apple has been forced to delay its internal timelines for iOS 7, but the company’s engineers are said to be working overtime to get a preview ready for the upcoming Worldwide Developers Conference in June. Multiple sources have indicated that Apple is pulling engineers from OS X 10.9 to help the company stay on schedule with iOS 7.
I think this is/was true. No iPad preview yet, multiple things look rushed to me in iOS, no real AppleTV interface changes, OSX Maverics looks like it stalled to me on design too (Calendar Icon etc). I have a feeling they are still playing catchup.

martinocando

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Is a bigger change than the previous iOS, is reasonable to take more time and effort.
Definitely. I think it took them longer than they had planned though. It wouldn't surprise me to see more than a couple things be changed before GM (function and graphically).

Last edited:

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I will be surprised if some of the things make it to the GM as is. For example, setting a timer. If that's the direction of the new design then it's definitely in the wrong direction.

jmantn

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Tn
I like the timer actually, I use it three times a day for work. It's a bold change.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I will be surprised if some of the things make it to the GM as is. For example, setting a timer. If that's the direction of the new design then it's definitely in the wrong direction.
I like the new look of setting a timer. What don't you like about it?

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
If anyone noticed at the Keynote Apple seemed to be using a newer beta of OS X Mavericks (iBooks was present and the scrolling didn't freeze like it does for me on my MBP 2011) Also iOS 7 was definitely a newer build than what we got on Monday as well I think there was an article confirming such, usually we get the same build as Apple demoed at WWDC at least I know from iOS 5.0 and 6.0 at least.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
They have a lot going on this year. You have to remember this may not ship until mid October.

BvizioN

macrumors 601
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
If anyone noticed at the Keynote Apple seemed to be using a newer beta of OS X Mavericks (iBooks was present and the scrolling didn't freeze like it does for me on my MBP 2011) Also iOS 7 was definitely a newer build than what we got on Monday as well I think there was an article confirming such, usually we get the same build as Apple demoed at WWDC at least I know from iOS 5.0 and 6.0 at least.
That may be quite possible but may question is: Why would Apple want to test a build they have already passed?

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/01/apple-engineers-working-overtime-on-ios-7s-deforstallization/

From the above post:

I think this is/was true. No iPad preview yet, multiple things look rushed to me in iOS, no real AppleTV interface changes, OSX Maverics looks like it stalled to me on design too (Calendar Icon etc). I have a feeling they are still playing catchup.
Yes 100%, iOS has the basics of a very good update but the uniformity is lacking. OSX Mavericks is clearly unfinished as things such as the Calendar app, reminders etc still using the old style.

They just wanted to make sure they got the message across that it was time for change. Now they have got it out the door, the real work starts.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
That may be quite possible but may question is: Why would Apple want to test a build they have already passed?
I think the article said because iOS 7 specifically is still a work in progress, I think the beta build was just a taster for us developers to test our apps against, until Apple brings us that more stable build they used at WWDC, and then also when we get that build we also should get the iPad one. As for Mavericks, it needs polishing still, and even though I was convinced a GM was coming at WWDC, (The build number) It turned out to be DP1, and iBooks is missing, so I think with DP 2 we will get once again stability and iBooks. I don't think iOS 7 beta 2 and Mavericks are on the same timeline though, because while both say "Fall" for release, Mavericks isn't the priority, it seems like iOS 7 is the major priority and it MUST ship with the new iPhone, iPad, iPad mini and possibly iPod touch.

BvizioN

macrumors 601
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I think the article said because iOS 7 specifically is still a work in progress, I think the beta build was just a taster for us developers to test our apps against, until Apple brings us that more stable build they used at WWDC
That kind of make sense, but wouldn't it be better if they pushed the same build they used on WWDC, saving everybodys time? Unless that build was not entirely ready to be pushed.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
That kind of make sense, but wouldn't it be better if they pushed the same build they used on WWDC, saving everybodys time? Unless that build was not entirely ready to be pushed.
The build developers were given may have had more testing, where as the one demo'd at WWDC was newer and had more features to show (or a feature to show that happens to bug out on the dev build) but was never thoroughly tested enough to send to millions of developers.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
It certainly does sound true. Even during the WWDC talks they regularly showed API that isn't in the first beta. I don't remember that happening before; they're usually API-complete by now.

The stuff in Mavericks seems pretty much done by comparison. Mainly kernel-level stuff which I'm sure is being developed for iOS' benefit anyway.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
The build developers were given may have had more testing, where as the one demo'd at WWDC was newer and had more features to show (or a feature to show that happens to bug out on the dev build) but was never thoroughly tested enough to send to millions of developers.
Yeah this could definitely be true, However I feel that build was near completion, it's the iPad one that is behind, and I noticed in the Developer videos it showed certain things not yet available on the beta we are currently testing, But it was on iPhone, and most likely iPod touch, just not the iPad yet....

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
Only certain aspects of it looked rushed to me. For example, when you get an App Store notification for an update, the small icon shown in the notification center is the old App Store icon and not that new one. Just little things that were overlooked it seems.
That's why it's called a beta. The API's are there for the developers. The new UI design is set so you can make your apps look like other iOS 7 apps. But it's not a finished product. Nothing is being overlooked; iOS 7 isn't finished yet. If it was, we'd all be using the general release, not a developer preview.

robots3humans0

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
London, Ontario
That's why it's called a beta. The API's are there for the developers. The new UI design is set so you can make your apps look like other iOS 7 apps. But it's not a finished product. Nothing is being overlooked; iOS 7 isn't finished yet. If it was, we'd all be using the general release, not a developer preview.
I understand that. Notice how I wasn't complaining? Just pointing out that in Beta 1, they didn't make an icon for the App Store notification.