I think the iPhone 6 has 2GB RAM not 1GB...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ruler22, Aug 29, 2014.

1. ruler22 macrumors member

I'm referencing the macrumors article on the front page showing the model number that indicates RAM:

Attached Files:

2. iCore24 macrumors 6502

iCore24

3. techspin macrumors 6502a

Was thinking the same, glad you pointed it out.

4. Chatter macrumors 6502a

You may have something here! Your process of elimination does seem to jive to arrive at 2GB. But I will be honest - I am not too concerned about this issue.

5. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Please be right. Mainly so I can enjoy the increased RAM capacity, but also to keep the perennial whiners from flooding MacRumors in the coming weeks after the event. We get it, this time you're really gonna switch to Android. :rolleyes:

6. Mindbender14 macrumors regular

Difficult to tell. It really does look like "RWR" at the end but could easily be "P_R."

Nice sleuthing anyway. Hope you're right.

7. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

8. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Unfortunately, I don't believe your interpretation is correct. If you look at the A7 board in the comparison pic, the RAM part number is nearly identical: H9CKNNN8KTMRKR (also seen in the Retina iPad mini) vs. what appears to be H9CKNNN8KTMRWR from the A8. Only the second-to-last position looks to be different.

That list from Hynix is not comprehensive, as evidenced by the A7's RAM part number not being on it...possibly a custom part made just for Apple and so not listed as an option for regular customers.

10. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Nice work! I think you're right. No way that's the "G" in #4.
    I've blown-up the image and improved the contrast. It sure looks like "KTM" so it's not a 1GB model.

Attached Files:

11. cebseb macrumors regular

Great detective work! I've got my hopes up again!

12. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

13. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

I friggin hope it is 2gb! I'd like to have 3 tabs open at once in Safari and not have to deal with refreshes every time I go back to another tab!

14. aevelasquez macrumors regular

By ****, you're right.

It does really look like it's a 2GB chip.

15. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Okay, I found the part number format, and it is indeed an 8 Gb (1 GB) part. See page 5 of this PDF, but I'll put the relevant chart right here.

[​IMG]

Here you can see that it is the eighth and ninth positions that are indeed important. It looks like the eighth position is the density (8 Gb both in the document and here on the A8) and the ninth position is the stacking within the package.

The other difference is in positions 12-13, which is the package type. That makes sense given that it's a custom part to match the size of the main A8 package. Hence the difference between the A7 and A8...the chips are slightly different sizes, so we have RK and RW variations. Otherwise the part numbers are identical between the A7 and A8.

16. ruler22 thread starter macrumors member

Why do you think it's 'GTM' after the "8" (or could be a 'B'), and not "KTM"? It sure looks like a K to me, rather than a G, unless I'm missing something.

17. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

After my iPhone 5 came out of the box scratched and looking used, I care more about quality than ram. APPLES slipping.

18. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yup. No way a G.

*crossing fingers*

19. cube macrumors G5

Yes, it would seem to be the first generation of an RW chip.

20. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I don't think it is a G...it's clearly a K. That sheet is just the closest example I could find for a similar part.

At the simplest level, the RAM part numbers on the A7 and A8 are identical with the exception of RK vs. RW in positions that describe the package type and not the density. So 1 GB on both.

Between DDR3 and DDR2, which use the same format, there are over 30 examples on Hynix's lists and they are 100% consistent...the character in the eighth position denotes the density. 2 for 2 Gb, 4 for 4 Gb, 8 for 8 Gb, B for 16 Gb, and D for 24 Gb.

If folks would like to debate whether it's an 8 or a B there, that's one thing, but even then it seems pretty clear to me and many others that it's an 8.

21. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

Hopefully.
    This type of stuff is up in the air till the phone releases.

22. ruler22 thread starter macrumors member

I'll agree that it does look like an 8, although sharpening a blown-up image may distort what we are seeing, so I'm still leaving the possibility open that it could be a 'B' and with what ever font type is there, and the possible distortion, could be one..

My point is that it looks fairly clear that it is 'KTM' after the alleged 8. Looking at the RAM choices available, there is no 8Gb one there that has KTM after it. I left line #8 in my final 3 selections, even though it has a 'G' in it, just to account for that maybe it is a G rather than a K. However, saying that, I vehemently disagree that it's a G, as the same K is repeated earlier in the sequence, and the two look identical.

Does this mean anything? I'm just thinking that you may be able to look at other items in the sequence to either support or discredit whether it's an 8 or a B...

23. cube macrumors G5

It is not KTM after 8.

It is 8 Gib of memory with K and T characteristics of a first generation chip (M). Maybe they consider it first generation just because of the RW package.

24. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Not on that list, but the list is not comprehensive. We *know* an 8 Gb KTM part exists...it's been used in the A7 for a year.

25. ruler22 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the information.

Can you take a look here:

http://updates4smartphone.blogspot.com/2013/09/how-to-disassemble-xperia-z1.html

Specifically look at this image:

http://static.xperiablog.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Xperia-Z1-disassembly-guide_19-640x400.jpg

There is a Hynix RAM module with a "B" (in the actual review/tear-down text above the image, it's typed out as a B and not an 8), and I'd think it could be mistaken for an 8, especially in a blurry, zoomed-in, image.

Thoughts?

Edit: Could still be an 8 on the image we have for i6, idk really, might be a stretch for the above.