I think the java update killed my dashboard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheNorthWaves, Apr 30, 2008.

1. TheNorthWaves macrumors 6502

Ever since the java update that I installed (on my C2D 1.83 Mac Mini, 10.5.2) via software update a day or two ago, my dashboard has been messed up. Simply put, dashboard loads, but a lot of widgets within it don't seem to load up (or don't load properly).

I can't say there is a 100% causal relationship between the Java update and the dashboard problem - but it's pretty obvious to me what is going on. How do I fix the problem or uninstall Java?

Rant:
    AAPL>MSFT... but they really ought to test things out before they stick them in software update. If java really killed my dashboard, they just pulled a microsoft big-time.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

No problems here, my Dashboard functions perfectly since the new Java update. I understand that you are frustrated but before placing blame on Apple alone take some responsibility on what you may be installing or doing to your computer that could be creating the problem that negatively impacts on software updates.

3. TheNorthWaves thread starter macrumors 6502

not entirely blaming them yet - but it's kind of strange if it turns out to be a common problem. That's why I started this thread. I'd like to know if I'm alone - and how to remove the update if possible.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Totally understandable however I did mention that I had no issues with Dashboard after the update but my positive experience wasn't obviously what you wanted to hear, seems to be only the people that are matching your issue is who you would rather hear from since you want to remove the update, good luck.

5. TheNorthWaves thread starter macrumors 6502

how do I uninstall the recent Java update?

It basically killed my dashboard. I don't care why - i'm just going to uninstall it and revert to the old java. But how do I do this?

Thanks

Tim

6. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I don't have my MacBook right now so I'm not sure, but it seems like the older version of Java was in it's own folder in the Utilities folder. The new version might be in there somewhere. Once you find it I would use Appcleaner to uninstall it.

7. TheNorthWaves thread starter macrumors 6502

I am running Leopard.2, where do I find this Applecleaner? It is not in the utilities folder -Thanks,

8. bstreiff macrumors regular

That's interesting. The Java update doesn't set Java 6 to be the default Java; are you sure that's what's killing Dashboard?

Anyway, it won't get rid of of it, but you can use /Applications/Utilities/Java/Java Preferences.app to set the version of Java used-- just set it to use Java 5 or Java 1.4.2 for applets and applications.

9. TheNorthWaves thread starter macrumors 6502

dashboard is messed up - please help

You may have seen my previous thread, accusing the Java update of causing this problem. However, selecting the various versions of Java didn't fix it. This did however occur right after the Java update install.

My dashboard loads all the widgets but they are frozen and non-functional. Something is really messed up, and I don't have a clue where to start. Please help!!

Thanks -PS this is on the Mini, specs in sig

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

11. TheNorthWaves thread starter macrumors 6502

I was a Windows user for 15 years if that answers your question ;)
    (Although in Vista I have noticed it runs stable without a restart for a very long time - bravo MS, lol)

12. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

remove the new java will mean a archive and install and cleaning apps will not work.

Before you goto the extreme hassle try this it may well help.

Download and install MainMenu (Freeware)

Now run via the menu bar item

Other Tasks -> Clear Dashboard Processes & Clear Dashboard Cache

This has helped me with some minor dashboard issues

I doubt very much the java update had anything to do with dashboard. One thing I have noticed which may also help in your case is some widgets are causing dashboard slowdowns and beachballing when it loads.

Also try removing temporarly all third party widgets and replacing them one at a time to see which one if any cause the issues to come back. This will help narrow down the problem widget.

13. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

14. wordy macrumors regular

wordy

Have you tried closing all he widgets and restarting them?

BTW I've read that the update doesn't set the default version of java to 6 in SAFARI, but I'm not sure if that is true of other apps.

I too doubt if the update is the cause of your problem, it's probably just bad timing! Also, fire up your console and then open dashboard to see if there are any strange messages.

15. 030108 macrumors member

Why is Java SE 6 version 1.6.0_05 being "pushed" via Software Update AS AN UPDATE if it "...does not replace the existing installation of J2SE 5.0 or change the default version of Java"? That description does not, in my mind, apply since Apple is saying that it does not affect the existing Java installation. I do not see how it is an update if this is true; it is just the addition of another, completely separate, app.

Anyway, is sun.com the place to go if I just want a free download of Java SE 6 version 1.6.0_05 itself? After reading this and a couple other posts from users who have already installed it via Software Update and because of description inconsistencies I am not necessarily comfortable with taking it from Software Update if there is a good alternative.

Java.sun.com was slow/hanging when I tried to find Java SE 6 version 1.6.0_05 there. In fact, I am not able to access java.sun.com at all. I am using Opera; possibly they are biased.

The following quote is from http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26564

16. bstreiff macrumors regular

It's an update because it's a newer version of Java. It allows applications to use Java 6 if they desire, but it does not alter the default version of Java for compatibility reasons.

You can't get Java for OS X from Sun; Apple has their own special build of it for some reason (perhaps because of the Aqua look-and-feel?). This is why there's been a bit of an outcry over releasing it only for 64-bit/Intel-- 32-bit and PPC users seem to have been left out in the cold.

17. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Is it happening in another user account? If it's not, then I dont think its the Java update.

Try going to your ~/Library/Preferences and remove the dashboard.plist. Log out/in of the account, and try dashboard again.

18. 030108 macrumors member

I went to the AppCleaner website, but I could not find any information about its developers. Can anyone tell me where I can?

I try to find out about an app's creator's before I give it the keys to my system.

Can anyone give me names of similar apps?

19. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Other uninstallers are Appzapper or Apptrap. Apptrap seems to be the most efficient if you don't mind giving it a minimal amount of system resources. I don't actually know if you need to uninstall Java 6 this way, but it'll get rid of all the preference files related to it.

20. rednek80 macrumors newbie

widgets failed to load

I fixed mine this way:

1) loaded parental controls on a managed account and denied permission for a particular widget

2) attempted to load the widget

3) entered administrator username/password

4) attempted to load the same widget again but clicked (ok)

5) logged out and then back in

6) disabled parental controls for my managed account

7) attempted to load the same widget....Success!