i think the new siri is amazing

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by ronnierohan007, Sep 25, 2012.

1. ronnierohan007 macrumors newbie

I have been using siri again. I don't know about everyone but I pretty much stopped using siri after the honeymoon period with iPhone 4s. I noticed it gives rotten tomato reviews for movies, you can watch the trailers from siri itself, get game scores and host of other stuff, has anyone tried doing some other cool things with it? Like hidden features ?

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Voice recognition = A+

Feedback returned = I'd rather not say. Let's just say not A+

3. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

I was going to dictate this but an outage of some sort has rendered Siri useless on my iPad. It's annoying as the dictation usually works quite well, albeit in short sections.

Regarding the new upgrade to siri on ipad, I find it very hard to reply to mail or messages without being cut off. I've tried the add reminders/notes feature but both these apps on iOS and OS X are so limited, it's not really worth the downgrade in functionality.

As a result I've gone right off the idea of upgrading my perfectly fine iPhone 4. Thank goodness the iPad let me trial it extensively.

4. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

i found siri to be much improved since iOS 6.

still room for more improvement though.

5. Joewat64 macrumors regular

Ditto, much more room.

6. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

You can use siri to launch apps. It is useful when driving esp. if you connect your phone to your car a2dp capable bluetooth radio.

7. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Is it just me or does she cut you off more? Like
    it seems like if I'm silent for just a second trying to think of something to say she stops listening earlier than on iOS 5.

8. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I didn't have Siri on my 4, but I'm enjoying it (her???) now. Like when driving, push a button and saying "Siri, look up UPS Store". 3 clicks later, I'm on the phone with them. Or laying down for a nap ( ok, I'm old...). Press a button and say "Siri, wake me in 30 minutes."

I don't know if the honeymoon will last, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Clint

9. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

I was having some issues with Siri yesterday it Kept lagging and did not work properly. This morning I started to ask something's and she was on point.

10. ronnierohan007 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know there is much more room for improvement but it is an improvement by itself when you can ask your phone to get directions, call businesses, watch trailers, make calls, send texts and not to mention make reservations ( using integrated open table ), get game scores, movie reviews and launch apps. Now I wish it was possible that siri had the following features:

1. if we could use siri to use public transport in nyc ( can only happen with maps improving i suppose)
    2. send voice memos
    3. send/ receive money/ gift cards using some sort of integration with passbook
    4. find prices of various things ( for example if you say i need to buy a playstation, it should show up prices near your location and maybe the cheapest price online)

I am sure other people have more to add to this

11. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

You know, I've been really lucky in that I've never had a problem with Siri whatsoever. I can dictate whole pages of information & only have to correct the odd word here and there.

I use it all the time when I am not in a crowded place (as then I do feel a bit of an idiot).

It has definitely gotten much faster & even more accurate with this release and in the UK we now have location based services which will be great in the future (once people start updating Yelp frequently).

The only thing that I've noticed with iOS 6, which is quite frustrating, is that if you pause mid-sentence as people sometimes do to compose their thoughts and you stop recording or Siri times out, it will then capitalise the next word when you start to talk again.

I've reported it to Apple already and hopefully they will make the change in the next update.

As ever, this post was entirely dictated and I've only had to make two minor changes, both of which were in the auto suggestion pop-up anyway.

12. protobiont macrumors 6502a

5. Either real time display of text during dictation, or at least periodic updates as you dictate larger blocks of text.

13. Jord5i macrumors member

I am still waiting for the Dutch version, kinda expected it to be among the new languages this time but meh...

Also for Siri for mac, where it's always standby and activated by simply saying "siri" :p

14. ronnierohan007 thread starter macrumors newbie

I definitely think that would be an amazing addition

15. nephron8 macrumors regular

its amazing

I never had luck with siri in past.
    but yesterday out of blue moon I tried it and it worked as shown in those demo's

I asked it for finding time in Boston,
    it found within few seconds.

I asked it to dial my friend their,
    it also done in time.

so far it was just like those demo video's.

Happy.

16. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

It has been recognizing what I say a bit better lately but it's such an incremental improvement it's hard to tell if they really did anything.

The new features, being able to look up movies etc is nice but I feel it has a long way to go yet. They should really be working on Wikipedia compatibility and get IBM's Watson in their data centre. Then it'll be pushing boundaries. :D

17. curtisinoc macrumors 6502

Just upgraded from iPhone4 to the iPhone5 and enjoying the novelty if Siri . . With the questions I'm asking Siri, I'm pretty sure she thinks I'm a pervert :D

(don't lie, all of you have asked Siri the EXACT SAME things at first!)

18. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

My Siri is a bloke on my iPhone 5. How do you change it?

19. maricc macrumors regular

I really wish you could tell things like:

"Do not disturb me" and DND would turn on
    Turn vibrate on/off
    Turn bluetooth/wifi on/off

20. Appleseeds macrumors regular

I don't think you can. I am not sure why, but in the UK Siri is a male voice.

21. maricc macrumors regular

You can change it to the US/Canadian female voice. But the accent will change.

22. Appleseeds macrumors regular

Never really thought of that. But I would think this would also change the recognition of words as well.

23. maricc macrumors regular

Maybe, but the "accent" seems like it could be a neutral mix between a British and North American speech.

24. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

this version actually works thru Sync in the car

it pulls up contact info from the lock screen when you ask: "display John Doe's contact info" (if you want to use the office line for example). Though I never tried it with the 4S lol

25. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

Siri has the lines for the games on Sunday. Enough of a upgrade for me. haha