I think the Update is a Home Run!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tttexxan, Sep 27, 2007.

1. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

I have owned so many PDA type devices over the years and still impressed with the Iphone on a daily basis. Its all been covered before but just the ease of going to the internet and actually having a browser that works is a plus. My Ole Treo and Ipaq couldnt hold a candle.

I commend Apple on such a fine product right out of the gate! I think overall customers are truley happy. My wife who hates dealing with new technology has jumped on the band wagon as well. At first she made fun of me waiting in line overnight for "just a phone", but now she has one of her own. Infact, she stated two days ago, "this phone is sure hard to put down. It so much fun to use. I thought it would be alot harder to adjust to." If you knew my wife you would know this is hudge!!!!

Lastly, I think the new update is great. Most people are required to buy new phones in order to do what Apple has done with updates. Yet people still complain and find fault. I really think apple will cont to release updates that will make the masses happy ie Flash. I try to remember its only been out for two months, but has performed just as Jobs stated.

I couldnt be more happy with the Iphone and eager to see how it will keep moving forward

2. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

BS
    its 2007 and this new phone does not allow us to cut and paste...Shame on you Apple...SHAME!!

3. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

You can pick any smartphone on the market and fine a flaw. Does that make it a bad device?

4. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

sorry, but this is not a flaw, its a huge oversight....kinda like EDGE.

5. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

EDGE is an oversight? :D

PS: You are right it isn't a flaw. Just your opinion. :p Phone works just fine without it.

6. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

By my counts, this phone has about 10 flaws that my Treo didn't have.

7. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

Please step away from the keyboard, put down the bong, and come back when you are sober, and capable of making a coherent post.

Thanks.

8. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Then what made you buy an iPhone? Lack of research?

PS: I couldn't WAIT to get rid of my 700wx!

9. tttexxan thread starter macrumors 6502a

surley one of those flaws would not be taken the back off your treo for a reset or losing all data when the battery dies would it

10. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

yes it is...its an huge oversight. 70% of my calls go to voicemail because Jobs failed to realize the shortcomings of EDGE.

Dont get me wrong, its an amazing device...but for every step forward it takes two back.

My original post was simply about cut and paste. Three updates and they cant add this- GIVE ME A BREAK! As I said shame on Apple.

11. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

never lost all my data on my Treo...but that was three phones back.

12. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Jobs failed to realize the shortcomings of EDGE or he is selling the device to the average consumer who isn't missing 70% of their calls because they are using EDGE service?

13. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

Hmm, never lost my data due to a battery issue, operator error on your end? And I have had to reset the iPhone a few times (Safari to iPod issue). How about some basic features:

1. Cut & Paste
    2. MMS
    3. Exchange Support
    4. Video Camera
    5. Bluetooth Sync
    6. Bluetooth Modem without hacking phone
    7. 1800+ 3rd party apps installable without the fear of MS locking you out of them with B-S updates
    8. Fully explorable file structure again without hacking

But yeah, your right, definitely a home run. Don't forget to empty the bong water.

14. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

When you get back to work tomorrow please tell Steve about my gripes.

15. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

How are these flaws? None of these were said to be in the phone? Lack of research before buying the device maybe?

My car is flawed because it doesn't have four wheel drive!

16. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

dude you drank too much kool-aid...you are a lost cause. later.

17. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement but I think Apple has a solid phone for their first go at it.

They can't satisfy everyone. I think they have done a good job satisfying the mass.

Umm ok........have fun

18. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

19. rasputinj macrumors regular

I do not miss calls because of EDGE, but maybe I am just not getting enough phone calls to tell. I know that text messages come through while on EDGE, but maybe that comes through EDGE.

I have had a bunch of PDA and Smartphones, they all had their issues. Apple still needs to do a few things to put it in the ballpark with PDAs, and hopefully they will get there. As far as the Treo goes, great phone, I could probably tape 3 iphone together to make it feel like a Treo.

I must say the OS of the Iphone is more stable then MS PDA and smartphone software. I do not like EDGE speeds compared with Verizon EVDO, but the safari is much better browser.

20. tttexxan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Each person is different....I never used half the junk that the Ipaqs and treos attempted to run. My treo was older but still a pain to use...Soft reset after soft reset became old.

The iphone is not a power PDA device anyway so maybe not a good comparison. The iphone for my needs works great though. Who needs 1300 apps. Most are just a waste of time. There are some functions I would like to see, but I think they will come in time. Just imagine where it will be 2 years from now.

Last---I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and have never had issues with the edge network. Unless a new Iphone had something more than just 3G I wouldnt upgrade

21. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

yup. MMS would've hit it out. At least it would have given us hope that they are listening to us.

It makes me sad to think that the 'new' Apple would implement MMS in a heartbeat if they made money off it like the ITMS. Old Apple was better. More for the people.

22. MAW macrumors regular

"coherent post." ??:eek:

who the **** are you!!??

seriously.

this isn't a dorm, or locker room, or Hooters.it's a forum where people go to find help and input and what have you. not a place for a bored, jaded and despondent 20-something to rant and kill and condesend because he/she has too much time on their hands.

add something to the to the thread. don't wast space on our little 3.5" screens please!:)

he's happy wilth his purchase and wants to share. so what!!

his post had a pile more validity and intention than yours. go back to your WOW toon.

23. briand05 macrumors 6502

I like the iphone, however I have clearly posted about it's flaws many times and Apple's stubbornness. What I can't stand is people that literally worship things like an iphone, a company, anything. I CAN'T STAND that kind of sucking up and shilling like behavior, some of these people truly sound like paid Apple employees and I wouldn't doubt if they were. Fanboyism or whatever you want to call it, it is an absolutely DISGUSTING thing.

24. dangleheart macrumors 6502

As the OP probably realized now, it is hard to start a positive thread without people creating their favorite feature list. There are atleast 50 threads on such topics.

Back to the topic, what I have observed people do with their smartphones is use it as a dumb phone. If you ask them what all it can do, they will show it to you but they themselves do not use it habitually. Not due to lack of features, there are tons of them, but because it is not easy to use. But iPhone scores big on that. It may lack a feature here or two but it is immensely usable. So iPhone owners have a smartphone and use it as a smartphone. That is the difference.

And the product is a home run, this update is a home run and we are just in the bottom of the 1st inning. Extending the analogy further, the other team(s) may score back a few but Apple's strength is keep scoring hits and home runs as we proceed with this game, so the distance the competitor's have to catch up will keep increasing. And the reason is the game has changed and the other teams are not properly equipped yet.

25. MAW macrumors regular

i agree with you fully.

a blind, orwellian obedience is a silly thing. i don't think i got that tone from the OP, however--

if that is indeed your implication.