I think there Competitors Posting Here Up to no good

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by needthephone, Jul 31, 2008.

1. needthephone macrumors 6502a

I haven't been on Macrumors for some time. I have been too busy playing with my white flawless, no cracks, comfortable temperature gorgeous iphone.

I JUST LOVE IT.

Well what do I see - All these fault threads .

The thing is if you look at the threads started by these guys (eg look at the one claimed by the guy who said his iphone melted!) and they all have a similar attacking theme, pointing out faults.

Call me my cynical but this looks like a smear campaign by some desperate competitors.

If you don't believe me go to the profile of all the thread starters claiming these faults.

All their posts are a similar theme.

I know lots of people with them in Australia and every one of us loves the things!

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. wronski macrumors 6502

Woah you're right! Everyone is doing the same thing; talking about their individual issues with the phone. Conspiracy alert!

:confused:

4. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Of course they are all similar, all of these people have problems so people are going to do what they do best... complain!

I don't think if say a Motorola or RIM wanted to smear the name of Apple they would do it through an ethusiasts forum, they would want something a little more publicized than that.

5. needthephone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry I don't buy the story of the melted phone.

6. wronski macrumors 6502

Sort of insulting to the guy considering he allegedly got hurt. It could easily be a battery issue.

7. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Sorry, but nah. You're being rediculous.

It's much more likely there are just genuine QC problems at this point.

It probably only affects 10% of handsets, so you won't know anyone with issues. But 10% will generate lots and lots of complaint threads, because it's a high number.

For example, I don't know anyone who's Xbox 360 has died. Ever. But it is more than apparent that it has a shockingly high failure rate, and it's not Sony talking it up.

Phazer

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Well after all, it is a public forum. iPhones aren't perfect. Are they close to perfect? No. And no one will be close to perfect. Are they better in a lot of aspects compared to the competitors though? Indeed.

With the new iPhone, there are quite a lot of isses. Most are firmware which can be fixed, but like the cracking, low 3G signal, there are going to be people that have those issues, and you have to respect that.

9. LiveForever macrumors 6502

I agree this stuff beggers belief. Maybe we in Australia got all the good iphones then mate!.

You lot are just whinging Americans .

Quite honestly my white iphone is beautifully made, I am astounded at the quality of it. It works perfectly.

I honestly can not find fault with it.

Its far far exceeded my expectations.
    Ok for a product made in the 10's of millions even a 0.25% failure rate (great by any standards) will result in a lot of faulty products.

OK I'm off ( and I suggest you do the same) There are other PROPERLY MODERATED FORUMS with none of the crap posted here. Macrumors will be OK in a month or so once all these oh I have a splinter in my thumb mummy and disgruntled competitors posters go.

10. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Maybe you should head on over to macsycophants.com?!

What are you having a problem believing? The photos don't lie.

As Apple customers we have an expectation that (a) the quality of products will be top notch and (b) it will "just work". Apple need a kick up the backside at the moment because every platform they have rolled out in the last 9 months has been full of bugs and lacking the functionality that should be there.

Just waiting for the outsourcing backlash to begin. Get our manufacturing and coding jobs back in the West! I'm sick to the back teeth of this shoddiness.

11. LiveForever macrumors 6502

Sounds like you have a motivation then to justify why nobody wants to employ you anymore because you are uncompetitive?

You could have put your phone on a hotplate yes really convincing, I believe you mr unemployed bitter coder.

12. sibruk macrumors 6502a

No, wrong on all three counts. You might just have me on bitter though. Next!

13. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Considering more than a million iPhones have been sold this month, it's not unlikely some people are going to have some problems. Even with a failure rate of 0.01%, which is not too hard to imagine, quite a few folks will have issues. And when people have issues with their new toy, a good many of them Google around to see if their problem has been covered online. I know I've found several forums based on such searches so it seems rather silly to think these unfortunate folks with defective phones are competitors posing as iPhone customers.

14. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Product-related forums are more than always filled with more complaints than praises. Its the nature of message boards, finding out if someone is having the same issue.

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm not so sure on that...I'd say more like 90/95% have a legit problem (possibly not as serious as they think) and the others don't really know what they're talking about.

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    iPod failure rates range from 3-7 %. Some, such as the iPod 40GB Click Wheel, are almost 30%.

The iPhone is far more complicated, and my own guesstimate is a return rate of about 15%.

Even 5% of a million would be 50,000 people... and that's a lot of whinging as our English & Oz friends would say, if even only 0.1% of those (50 people) posted online.

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I think you're totally out of line there - MacRumors is one of the better moderated forums out there, the mods do a very good job here enforcing good behavior.

Whining about defective hardware is nothing new at this forum. Go back and look at EVERY major product launch and you'll see a series of threads about people who got bad hardware.

Overall, all these bad hardware threads blow the problem a bit out of proportion IMO. It's true that a small percentage of every product Apple makes leave the factory in a defective state. But millions of the devices come out fine. Now, a dozen or so strident threads here about bad iPhones or MBP 8600GTs or whatever make the problem sound worse than it is - what if everyone with a good iPhone started a "My iPhone works fine!!!" thread? They would drown out the "My iPhone is crap and I'm switching back to PC in a sulk" threads by sheer numbers.

<shrug> If you don't like iPhone whining threads, don't click on them - it's that simple.

Oh, and to the original poster - Competitors have better things to do than undermine Apple through internet forums...the biggest whiners are probably spoiled teenagers or trolls, not Microsoft or Creative Labs.

18. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

53% of iPod failures are due to user error and misuse. 27% of all iPod returned for service are fully functional units. Between 3 and 6% of all iPod complaints in public forums are made by people who don't own iPods. 64% of iPod owners prefer pancakes to french toast.

Percents are fun!

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yep, especially when you make them up just to mock the idea :D

However, the ones I posted came from surveys and the failures that warranty dealers such as SquareTrade had to handle.

Google up "ipod failure rate" for more fun!

20. Pandora01 macrumors regular

I have never been more insulted in my life!!!! :mad:

I am CANADIAN, damn you!!! :p

21. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Filed under: Enthusiastic Conspiracy Theorist :rolleyes:

If the competitors where posting, we'd known about it.

R-Fly

22. cazlar macrumors 6502

While I agree that 67% of all statistics are just made up on the spot, I think there's a grain of truth in flowbee's ones. A lot of people I've helped with iPod problems have been solved relatively easily (ie just a good hard reset fixes most). I imagine many many people take it back, or see a genius, when there's actually nothing physically wrong with the device. I assume the iPhone has a similar problem.

Anecdotally, I've owned a string of iPods since the 2G model, and I've had 1 hardware problem personally (a 1G shuffle I bought on release day had a loose USB connection 2 days after I got it). That's not to say there aren't many many defective units out there, just I feel that quoting a return rate may exaggerate the real defect rate (which only Apple knows).

23. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

True. I'd hate to be Apple, what with their incredibly picky bunch of customers.

OTOH, Apple gets the last laugh, since they just clean up (aka "refurb") a lot of returned units to give as replacements to the next customer. <grin>

24. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I actually agree with the OP. People are that pathetic.

25. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

While I don't think there's any conspiracy, I will say that people are being damn picky (and little naive, I might add).

All the bitching is blowing my mind, to be honest. This phone does more than 95% of phones out there, and looks good while doing it, and people complain that they can't use their own wallpapers (or something else as minor). Sheesh.

BUT (and on topic)

If someone gets a bum unit, they should post about it -- that's how the word gets out. If a bunch of people get bum units, they should all go and get them replaced. I had an uneven screen, I took it to an Apple Store, and they gave me a new one. Perfect. Everyone with an issue should just go do that, and not sit here and complain all day.