I think there's something wrong with my TV...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sammich, Oct 30, 2009.

1. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I googled about this but unfortunately broken TV or shadows on TV don't really cut it with google troubleshooting.

So I'm going to crowdsource here and see if anything pops up. Basically my TV has this flittering shadow thing on the right 2/3 of the screen, have a look at the video to see it for yourself. It started about a month ago from randomly, the right side was only about 20% affected, then it grew over time. The time it takes to go away has been increasing too, it's about 10 minutes now from about 20 secs when it started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN3jZ0ZABdA

I'm hoping someone can tell me what could've started this and what I might cost to get it fixed.

Cheers,
    Sam.

2. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Is this something that pops up no matter what input you are using? Switching between TV, PS3, Xbox, etc... Have you done a power cycle on it yet. I recommend calling their tech support line. I had a problem with mine having lines on the screen and the tech support walked me through the process of power cycling and restoring my tv back to normal.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How old is the TV, it could be a ray gun issue.

4. sammich thread starter macrumors 601

sammich

It's something that happens with the image on the TV, regardless of the input. Power cycling...I'll have to give that one a go. Thanks.

It's an LCD silly :p

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission.

(Sorry, but somebody had to say it.) :D

6. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Then it's the backlight

7. SWISSHAT macrumors member

SWISSHAT

A new LCD TV, with 100cm, full HD and the works cost like under US$800, I'd buy a new one, rather than fix it.

8. sammich thread starter macrumors 601

sammich

I don't think it's the backlight, the actual image is corrupted. The flickering itself is sections of the screen displaced vertically, so something like the clock at the top right would have a shadow at the bottom.

9. sammich thread starter macrumors 601

sammich

Well, we paid a pretty penny for that thing about 2 years ago. And yes, I know stuff like that has come down in price since then (like a lot).

To fix it or not, is pretty much why I made this thread, to see if anyone has had this problem, what they did to fix it and how it much might cost me.

10. sammich thread starter macrumors 601

sammich

Just gonna update this thread on the issue.

The darkness on the screen now stays there for over 30 minutes. And to clarify, the image is actually messed up on the portion that is dark. The pixels 'show up' as they should, but they take their time to 'fade away'. To illustrate, if onscreen there was picture of a bright yellow flower, then you changed it to a neutral image, the yellow would fade over about 0.5-1 second to the new colour.

Seriously, no one has any idea?

11. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

12. whitebook macrumors regular