I think they hacked my Mac...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iris_failsafe, Jun 12, 2007.

1. iris_failsafe macrumors 6502

iris_failsafe

I left my old computer, a POWERMAC G4 QUICKSILVER (with OS 10.3.9) to my mother. She shops at Amazon with some frequency so she had the remember me function on her browser. Then a couple of days ago the bank calls her that someone charged $2700 (buying a macbook pro) with her credit card, she said no and the bank cancelled the card. I also cancelled the order on amazon and deleted all her information.

The strange thing is that the only computer with that info is that computer and the only person that is it is her as she alone with my dog. The other strange thing is that the order was made to be shipped to my aunt that lives in NY (my mom lives outside the US). Also her computer you need a password to log in it and apart from her only my sister and I know it.

So when they could obtain the info, either they hacked AMAZON or my computer, so what do you think happened?

2. applecow macrumors member

Are you entirely sure that they computer is to blame? I suppose if you want alternative possibilities, I would assume that someone saw her card and wrote down all the numbers including that 3 digit security code. If you are insistent that it is the computer, I really have no idea how to hack a mac so I can't help you there.

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Maybe your sister or aunt are lying and they actually did buy a mac. Seems like way too many coincidences. Why would someone hack a computer, buy a mac, and then send it to your aunts address. I'm no master criminal mind, but I would send it to myself, or a PO BOX etc... if i hacked a computer and started ordering stuff on someone else credit card. :confused:

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

It does seem very strange that someone would send the Mac to your Aunt's address. Anyone else in your Aunts house?

5. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

No, you'd want it sent to a listed address so as to not throw up any red flags. If they're local, they (the criminal) then just stakes out the address on the day it's to be delivered, snag the package, and then they are the proud new owner of a MacBook Pro.

6. esaleris macrumors 6502

It's a terrible amount of trouble of scamming, if it truly is. Shipping it to your relative seems very odd. Maybe the question is: how old is your mom?! :p Maybe she forgot! Sorry, don't mean to be mean, but if I were to scam, I'd probably send it to a much more convenient location, rather than the relative of the guy I was scamming. Just my thoughts.

7. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

But if her mom is out of the US, how in the world would any hacker know her aunt's address?
    Another thought as well, there is a 1-click option thing in Amazon that once you have all of your info saved, all you do is sign in and find the item and click buy and it's on its way. Perhaps that was turned on and just a faulty click was to blame.

8. Trekkie macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

I've had an HP laptop ordered & shipped to my house with a credit card I'd not used in over a year.

Not the brightest of credit card fraud, but it apparently happens.

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

What actually happened? Who knows? But quite likely, your mom's bank will be able to sort some of the details out...

Meanwhile, I'd suggest you might want to find out about any person or persons who have had access to your mom's home. If someone is inside the house, even briefly, they'd have the opportunity to install a keylogger on a computer, to simply log on and submit the order, or to dig through the trash for credit card numbers, etc.

My mom had a bit of a "problem" similar to this with a door-to-door sales lady from a certain national cosmetics company that was able to obtain a good bit of information on my mom's credit card accounts, checking and savings accounts and much more during the time she was in my mom's house during her sales visits. A copy of my mom's will even disappeared during this period of time, from a locked box tucked far back under her bed. There was also good evidence this woman had somehow made a copy of the front door key to my mom's house.

Personally, I trust few people... those who seem overly "helpful" really raise the red flags...

10. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Heh, I missed that part in parenthesis somehow. Good point then.

11. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

One thing to remember is that if you have Amazon remember your credit card info, one weak password on your Amazon account makes it possible for them to purchase items with your CC info. They don't even need to KNOW anything about the CC in this case. Apple's online store the same way.

My advice for the future is: never let online stores 'remember' your credit card info.

12. iris_failsafe thread starter macrumors 6502

iris_failsafe

Thats the thing, it just doesn't make sense. First a thief would probably order a PC (guess), send why order something on another country

It seems like a mistake but how. My mom doesn't check for computers she is ok, when she needs stuff like that she calls me or Ill buy it with her... so strange

Thanks for the input

13. Michael Smith macrumors newbie

Machine hacked? Very unlikely.

Mom responded to a phishing scam? Much more likely.

If Mom ships Amazon purchases to the aunt for forwarding out of the USA, and her Amazon password isn't strong, then it's possible her account was brute-forced.

Credit goes to her bank for verifying the purchase either way.

= Mike