I think they sent me the wrong RAM but then I could be wrong.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Serge N Gin, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Serge N Gin macrumors member

Serge N Gin

Hello,

Could someone who is knowledgeable in this area please give me some feedback about a RAM module I purchased from a 3rd Party Vendor.

The first pic is of the RAM I ordered for an iBook G3 466MHz and comes from the vendors website and the second is the front/back views of the RAM I received.

I just would like to know if it's possible to identify the RAM I received as being Apple compatible and if it is the same type as the above pic.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The G3 iBook came in 366MHz & 500MHz flavors (among others), but I don't recall a 466. In any case the following specs:

• Module Size: 128, 256, 512MB
    • Package: 144-pin SODIMM
    • Feature: SDRAM, PC133
    • Specs: SDRAM, PC133 • CL=3 • Non-parity • 133MHz • 3.3V • 64Meg x 64
    ...are the required for a 500MHz. The 366MHz didn't support 512MB modules (128 & 256 only). Assuming the correct processor, your package "seems" to be right. Who'd you buy it from?

In my experience, the wrong RAM (as long as the form factor is right) does one of two things: prevents the 'puter from booting, or it will boot but just not see the RAM. I'm sure someone will pipe in that something was fried as a result, but in 30 years, I've never seen it happen.

3. Serge N Gin thread starter macrumors member

Serge N Gin

I bought it from Memory Ten and after installing it, the iBook is stuck on the Flashing Folder/?

I was replacing an 128MB module and even when I popped that one back in the slot it still wouldn't boot past the flashing etc. Then I removed the 128MB stick and tried to boot from the onboard 64MB but had no luck. I've been trying desperately to get it back to running order.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Make sure the stick is properly seated. Thet's generally the first cause of RAM not working (especially if all three aren't being recognized, kind of a giveaway). Try rebooting with only the onboard (soldered) RAM first to verify basic functionality.

Possible worst-case cause of the boot failures (as you describe them) is an old-fashioned static zap of the memory modules. Ensure you follow basic anti-static precautions.

Do you have a local computer store? (not the big-box places, they're usually stocked with idjits) I'm just thinking of someone that can test the RAM -- all three sticks -- to verify functionality. That, or try one or more of the sticks in a like 'puter.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think this gen iBook has the kind of memory slot where the card goes in at an angle, and then you press it down to be horizontal, right? You have to make sure it's really all the way into the slot.

It looks like the memory module has some sort of cladding on it... I've seen that before, but I feel like it's fairly rare for memory from this era.

Also according to Apple-History.com, there is a 466MHz version of the clamshell iBook SE. But Apple History lists that iBook as using PC66 SO-DIMMS...

6. Serge N Gin thread starter macrumors member

Serge N Gin

I wish I'd upgraded the RAM before installing Panther ... the poor ole' iBook probably couldn't take all that fussin'.

You're 100% correct about the angle of the RAM as it's inserted and the pushing down into the horizontal resting place. I seated/reseated the RAM several times just to be sure.

What about the IBM approved sticker on the brand new RAM? And shouldn't the two modules be identical or is that a matter of whoever manufactures the RAM will put out a different looking module. I was put off by that cladding ...

I researched the PC66/100/133 thing prior to buying the RAM and from what I could gather you could put a PC133 module OR a PC100 module in as the PC66 is now a bit dated.

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Have you tried booting with NO added RAM? If it still boots normally (no matter how slow or anemic), than you have bad RAM, a bad slot (they can fail rather suddenly - a single broken solder will do it), or something else more hidden and probably not worth the repair cost.

I can't believe nobody's suggested repairing permissions...

8. Serge N Gin thread starter macrumors member

Serge N Gin

I had tried that but hey, I just tried it again cos just because it didn't work the first time doesn't mean I shouldn't try it again ...

The only advancement in this saga is that if I have the Panther disc in the drive and press C after I hear the startup chime, whereas before I could hear the disc spin up, then down after a second or two - well now - it spins up, then slows down, then spins up again and doesn't stop. I can also hear the sound of the hard drive starting/stopping - which I think is a good sign.

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The is the clamshell iBook, right?

What was the answer to the question - does it boot with no additional RAM? (the socket empty, and just the motherboard memory)

The flashing ? means the machine cannot access a bootable System folder. It is not necessarily indicating a RAM problem (although that might be a cause). Bad RAM would more likely result in three beeps and a black screen.

MemoryX knows what they are doing with Macs. *IF* you specified the exact model of Mac you were ordering for, then they should have sent you a module that they have tested compatible. (your photo is a match to the info on their website)

Also: Search Apple support for the Power Manager Reset procedure for your model iBook.

Ah, err, you only have one SODIMM socket in that machine...

OK -- I see you mean shouldn't the photo on MemoryX's website and the RAM you received be the same -- No. The KTI RAM photo dates from 2005. There are a number of different brands that can be used. You will see on the website that they say
    "This module may be manufactured by Swissbit, KTI, MemoryTen, Micron or Samsung depending on availability. This item is in stock and can ship today. We guaranty this module will work in your notebook."

But just call MemoryX, right?
    Tell them what's happened and let them support the product rather than second guessing here.

10. Serge N Gin thread starter macrumors member

Serge N Gin

Thanks CanadaRAM,

I have been in contact with MemX Support for some time now but all they can offer that I check that the RAM has been properly seated. I have installed my fair share of RAM to know the basic troubleshooting steps and the seating was the first call for me. But I understand they have to ask me that.

I now understand that the RAM isn't at fault and that each manufacturer will produce RAM which will look cosmetically different from one vendor to the next. I was second guessing as the IBM compatible sticker put me on guard until I researched that the iBook G3 466MHz has an IBM cpu/processor anyway. D'oh!

The iBook is a friends and my main aim now is to return it to them in the condition they last used it, which was in working order. I'm not having much luck.

I have reset the PMU several times, along with zapping the PRAM, resetting the Open Firmware but to no avail. While I'm no techy guy, I'm comfortable under the keyboard and am cautious not to transfer any static electricity.

I am not giving up!

I appreciate you asking this question but I have already given the answer in two previous posts, thank you.

Yes that is right, it's a 466MHz Special Edition Graphite iBook G3.

100% correct and I only ordered 1 RAM module for that very reason ... :D

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Gotcha - I was faked out by the latest repeat question.

Serge, I think you experienced a logic board or HD failure coincidental with the RAM install -- perhaps triggered by taking out the battery before installing the RAM -- if it's not booting from the OS CD that came with it (a different model Mac OS CD probably won't work), and the PMU reset didn't help, then I think you have some hardware failure.

12. Serge N Gin thread starter macrumors member

Serge N Gin

Hey CanadaRAM, you remided me of something I neglected to mention ... I actually forgot to remove the battery to do the RAM swap ... That battery doesn't hold a charge anyhow.

Y'know, you have echoed the exact advice given to me from my AppleStore when I gave in and finally called them this morning:

1) If the RAM was at fault there would have been no boot other than to a black screen and I would hear a loud beeping noise.
    2) If the Panther disc won't boot the iBook then a OS 9 disc probably won't either.

So I tip my hat to you sir!

At the moment I have zeroed out the Physical Volume on the iBook by connecting it to my Intel Mac and running Disc Utility on the iBook.

I thought this may help but it doesn't and I don't have access to a PPC mac to try to install Panther via TDM.

Thanks again for your help, you've been very good!