I think this is a fallacy

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macswitcha2, Jun 28, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

The following argument sounds fallacious but I don't know what to call it.

Someone rejected a persons article criticizing black churches in regards to black women being single on the basis that the author not knowing the purpose of Church. This sounds fallacious. Anyone know which fallacy is this?

2. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Your sentence does not make sense. Could you restate your question in a grammatically correct and clearer way? I'm having difficulty understanding the position of the person.

3. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

If judgment is questioned on irrelevant grounds, like the belief of a person, then it is a classic case of Ad Hominem (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_Hominem).

However, it is, logically speaking, possible that the 'purpose of the Church' is relevant to the arguments made. If that is the case, then the grounds for questioning his judgment are relevant, and it is not a fallacy.

Your description is too vague to say whether or not it is a fallacy that you're dealing with.

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

More clarity is surely needed to properly assist you.

5. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Are you saying the beliefs in black churches are the cause of single black women in this authors opinion, however, the author does not know what goes on inside them so how could he say that the church itself is causing it?

That's all I could reasonably decipher.