I think this is the right place for this: Help installing Wine 1.6.2?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Rojnova, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Rojnova macrumors newbie

Rojnova

So, there are a couple PC programs I'm interested in running on my mac but I'm not willing to go the full route of actually having the windows OS on my computer (bootcamp/parallels/vmware/etc.), so I decided to try Wine. I downloaded it from the official site, and I'm attempting to follow the instructions found here: https://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guide/installing-wine-source. (I looked at the packages, but there didn't appear to be one for OS X).

I ran the first suggested command, $ ./configure, and when it was done, I got this error: configure: error: FreeType 32-bit development files not found. Fonts will not be built.

How do I fix this error, as it currently doesn't seem to run the second command, $ make depend?

2. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

While I can perfectly understand your approach I would not recommend using Wine. If you are looking for a free and good method to emulate Windows and Windows Apps on OSX, I'd go with Oracle VirtualBox.

3. Rojnova thread starter macrumors newbie

Rojnova

Well, Virtualbox isn't quite what I'm looking for. I want to run the apps, without requiring a virtual machine or emulating windows itself. While digging around for other alternatives, though, I found Wineskin, which appears to be based off of Wine, and it was perfect for what I need. So thanks anyway!