I think this is what I'll buy.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by orpheus1120, Oct 14, 2008.

1. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

The unrevised yesterday's 17" mbp.

I just can't stand glossy screens.

Who's with me?

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

3. orpheus1120 thread starter macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

It's still being offered in Apple Store right? I'm looking for the high res matte version. The new ones simply suck big time man...

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The specs have been revised on it, but its still the same design.

Also Glossy is now standard on it, you need to do a BTO for the Antiglare display (which I assume is Matte?).

Also its 1920 x 1200 standard which is nice.

5. shoppy macrumors 6502a

No matte is an option now and they have increased the price to cover 4gb of ram and the extra 70gb HDD. All are now high res LED yeah:D

6. orpheus1120 thread starter macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Well looks like anyone that's trying to get a 17" mbp BTO should get the old mbp now. I'm waited quite sometime for a revision but I'm severely disgusted by the updates.

The price point in Apple store Singapore remains the same at S$4388.00. In fact, it's a substantial saving since before the revision, you only get 2gb ram, and lower res as standard. Now you get 4gb ram, bigger hd and the high res as standard which was a BTO option back then.

Here's a comparison for the old/new prices and specs.

OLD:
    [​IMG]

NEW
    [​IMG]

Looks like it's time for me to get this.

7. California King macrumors 65816

What's wrong with glossy screens? The picture looks much better.

8. Anaxarxes macrumors regular

It warps the colors to look more vibrant than they actually are. Not good to work on images.

Plus the horrid reflections and lack of ability to use it outdoors.

9. kristiaand macrumors member

have to agree with this i have 2 laptops a 12" powerbook and a 13" macbook and the macbooks glossy screen looks miles better than the matte one. my GF also has a glossy macbook and shes commented on its quality over her old PC laptop.

10. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

you guys do realize it's the glass that is glossy...right? or did they cover a glossy display with a glossy piece of glass?

11. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I disagree on all points.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I think in this case its a glass cover, which is what lets it cover the bevel and extend to the edge of the lid.

13. orpheus1120 thread starter macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

I think some of you are missing the point.

This is not a matte vs glossy screen debate. Everyone's gonna have his own preference. This is however a debate for the freedom of choice - in this case the ability to choose a matte-finished screen as opposed to having Apple literally shafting glossy screens up our asses. I am in a particular group of users who believe in such freedom, which I'm sure alot of you would remember is something we used to have until only a couple of years ago during the introduction of the Al iMac where they start using the glossy screens.

For those of you who aren't particular with true colour representation or where your usage of the mbp is not dependent on that, having a glossy screen is perfectly alright. However, for a specific group of users, matte screen is imperative to their nature of work.

In a totally ideal world, where the glossy screen (a glass over a matte screen) is totally clear and free from any form of visual alterations, it will not impede true colour representation. In an ideal world mbp users who would not be troubled by glossy screens are those who work in a totally dark environment without reflective and glaring issues, but in reality how many of us work like that? Media editors, script writers and other professional users are constantly on the move in which they are always under the mercy of external elements which make a matte screen more suited for their use. There will hardly be a place with only a single light source outdoor where we can simply adjust the screen to avoid glaring and reflective issues as claimed by Tim Cook in the keynote. Although matte screen still suffer from glaring and reflective issues these days, they are less prone to happen unless in extreme lighting situations.

No one is saying glossy screen is useless, I'm just saying it sucks for my particular need.:D

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

My MacBook sits next to a large window and I never have an issue with glare.

15. orpheus1120 thread starter macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

The keyword being "next".

Try using the mbp with the window unshielded behind you in the daytime.

16. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

One thing: defective graphics! Unless you can insert a new card in yourself, the old MBP is a ticking time bomb!:p Good luck!

17. orpheus1120 thread starter macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

I hear you. Although I am not totally sure if all 8600 gpu are affected. I'm trying to gain some insights from this thread.

Lastly, it's not like we have other choices do we? It's either we get the new 15" or the old 17" OR wait for a revised 17" which is like GOD KNOWS WHEN????

18. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I'm pretty sure that the graphics in the new 17" Macbook Pro will be okay. Nvidia have had months to fix the problem and I'm sure they will have to save all the bad publicity and press.

And if it does go wrong, you are covered with 2 years AppleCare on it (1 year standard plus the extra year announced by Apple for notebooks with 8600's).

Also there is nothing to say that EVERY 8600 will fail. It might fail in 1 year, they will replace it, it might fail in 6 years, by which time you wont really care.

Buy it, its a great machine.

The next update wont be until Spring 09 is my guess, and that will incorporate the glossy screen which you hate.

19. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Wow, where the hell do you live that it costs that much? o_O

20. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I really couldn't agree more; the whole glare issue on MacBooks/MacBook Pros is way over-exaggerated. I'm willing to bet a majority have only viewed the glossy screens in an Apple store.